Occupational Therapy and Mental Health E-Book, 4th Edition
This book is a comprehensive textbook for occupational therapy students and occupational therapists working in the field of mental health. It presents different theories and approaches, outlines the occupational therapy process, discusses the context of practice and describes a wide range of techniques used by occupational therapists. These include physical activity, cognitive approaches, group work, creative activities, play and life skills. The book covers all areas of practice in the field, including mental health promotion, acute psychiatry, community work, severe and enduring mental illness, working with older people, child and adolescent mental health, forensic occupational therapy, substance misuse and working with people on the margins of society.
The theory chapters are written by occupational therapists who are recognised experts in their fields and the applied chapters are written by practitioners. An innovation in this edition is the inclusion of commentaries by service users on some of the chapters.
This fourth edition has been extensively revised and updated. The new structure reflects changes in service delivery and includes sections on:
- philosophy and theory base
- the occupational therapy process
- ensuring quality
- the context of occupational therapy
- client groups.
Important new areas that are covered include mental health promotion, evidence-based practice, community development and continuing professional development.
- Addresses the needs of the undergraduate course - covers all the student needs for this subject area in one volume.
- Links between theory and practice are reinforced throughout
- Written by a team of experienced OT teachers and practitioners
- Comprehensive - covers theory, skills and applications as well as management
- The clear structure with the division of chapters into six distinct sections makes it easy to learn and revise from as well as easy to refer to for quick reference in the clinical situation.
- Provides key reading and reference lists to encourage and facilitate more in-depth study on any aspect.
- It is written in a style that is easy to read and understand; yet there is enough depth to take students through to their final year of education.
- Chapters on the application of occupational therapy are written by practising clinicians, so they are up-to-date and realistic.
- For qualified occupational therapists, the book includes a review of current theories and approaches to practice, with references so that they can follow up topics of particualr interest.
- Suitable for BSc and BSc (Hons) occupational therapy courses.
By Jennifer Creek, DipCOT, Freelance Occupational Therapist, North Yorkshire and Lesley Lougher, BscSoc, DipCOT, Freelance Occupational Therapist working in the Voluntary sector, Peterborough, UK