Essential Microbiology for Dentistry E-Book, 4th Edition
|Print - Paperback||
The new edition of this highly successful book continues to offer readers everything they require to gain a full understanding of microbiology as it relates to modern dental practice.
Clearly written and in full colour throughout, the book uniquely divides the subject of microbiology into six discrete sections to relate the many aspects of microbiology for dental practice in a logical, easy-to-understand manner.
The first part of the book covers the principles of general microbiology and is followed by a clear and straightforward account of basic immunology. The volume then addresses mechanisms of disease, concentrating clearly on the micro-organisms that are relevant to the dentist. The major infections of each organ system are discussed as they relate to dental practice together with a detailed exploration of oral microbiology. The book finally concludes with a practical discussion of cross-infection and control.
The rich combination of easy-to-read text together with the extensive artwork programme continues to make Essential Microbiology for Dentistry the first choice of microbiology textbook for many students of dentistry worldwide.
New to This Edition
- Contains the latest organism nomenclature and information regarding unculturable bacteria and novel molecular technology
- Includes a highly expanded section on oral biofilms and their relevance to systemic disease such as heart disease, diabetes, adverse pregnancy outcomes and nosocomial pneumonia
- Contains a brand new section on oral immunology - prepared by guest authors - as relevant to dentistry
- Contains a new section on the microbiology of perimplantitis
- Presents a fully revised and expanded section on infection control in dentistry encompassing British and American guidelines
- Comprehensive coverage of the subject area makes the book suitable for all aspects of the curriculum
- Almost 300 tables and illustrations present clinical, diagnostic and practical information in an easy-to-follow manner
- Contains 'Key Facts' boxes to act as useful aide-mémoires
- Self-assessment sections at the end of each chapter allow students to assess their understanding in key areas of knowledge
- Addresses the subject on a strictly 'need-to-know for the dentist' approach [e.g. only salient bacteria are included with thumbnail sketches of viruses and fungi]
- Contains a detailed - and now expanded - glossary and abbreviations list
By Lakshman Samaranayake, DSc(h.c.) DDS BDS FRCPath FHKCPath FDSRCSE(Hon) FCDSHK FHKAM(Path) FHKAM(DSurg) MIBiol, Dean and Chair, Professor of Oral Microbiology, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong; Honorary Professor, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University of London, London, UK