Underwood's Pathology: a Clinical Approach, 6th Edition
with STUDENT CONSULT Access
Underwood’s Pathology (formerly General and Systematic Pathology) is an internationally popular and highly acclaimed textbook, written and designed principally for students of medicine and the related health sciences. Pathology is presented in the context of modern cellular and molecular biology and contemporary clinical practice. After a clear introduction to basic principles, it provides comprehensive coverage of disease mechanisms and the pathology of specific disorders ordered by body system. An unrivalled collection of clinical photographs, histopathology images and graphics complement the clear, concise text.
For this sixth edition, the entire book has been revised and updated. Well liked features to assist problem-based learning - including body diagrams annotated with signs, symptoms and diseases and a separate index of common clinical problems - have been retained and refereshed.
Additional value is provided by the complementary online version - hosted on studentconsult.com - which includes the complete, fully searchable text, downloadable images, clinical case studies and a revised, interactive self-assessment section to check your understanding and aid exam preparation. This all combines to make Underwood’s an unsurpassed learning package in this fascinating and most central medical specialty.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Fully revised throughout, with several new contributors and re-written chapters.
- Structure of chapters honed to make the book even easier to use during courses that are problem- or case-based.
- Access to extensive companion website on Student Consult:
- Fully searchable complete eletronic text
- Downloadable image bank
- Ability to add your own notes
- Over 250 review questions and clinical cases to assess your strengths and weaknesses and help apply learning to clinical practice
- Core topics further explained and brought to life with extra video and podcast tutorials
- Test yourself with bonus pathology crosswords
- Search across all the Student Consult resources you own online and in one place
- Contents perfectly matches needs of medical students.
- Very clinical approach is ideally suited to integrated courses.
- Each organ system chapter begins with a brief review of normal structure and function, emphasizing aspects that are important to an understanding of the subsequently discussed disease processes.
- Offers an unrivalled superb collection of clinical photographs, histopathology images, and graphics, approximately 700 in all, that richly depict the appearance of both healthy and diseased tissues.
- Extensive International Advisory Board validates contents.
Reviews of previous edition:
Underwood’s pathology is a very concise and yet full guide through the progression of diseases. It is fantastic for PBL because it gives you a basic pathological outline and explains the technical terminology as it goes. It uses some good clear flow diagrams and very memorable pictures to hammer the point home. I find it has a perfect level of detail for first and second year. Histological changes in tissues are also included which cuts down on research time. It also finds space to include other aspects of illness such as aetiology and recent advances in the field.
The layout into pathologies of each body system makes the book easy to use effectively. Any time where there is reference made to another part of the book a page number is provided. The index is well detailed and accurate.
It is very easy to read as the sentences are short and to the point, and paragraphs broken up by tables and diagrams. - Medical Student, University of Glasgow
"This is the definitive UK textbook of pathology...The range of coverage provided by Underwood and Cross in general and systematic pathology is excellent...This new edition of Underwood and Cross expands on previous success and cements its postition as the market leader for undergraduate UK pathology and in curricula worldwide based on the UK system." The Bulletin
"...it truly is an outstanding textbook...highly recommended" Histopathology
"...no doubt it will remain a bestseller - excellent value for undergraduates" Journal of Clinical Pathology
"A book of this kind deserves a wide readership" Modern Pathology
By Simon Cross, MD FRCPath, Reader and Honorary Consultant, Academic Unit of Pathology, Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK