Muscle Biopsy: A Practical Approach, 4th Edition
Expert Consult; Online and Print
Muscle Biopsy: A Practical Approach gives you all of the unparalleled guidance necessary to effectively interpret and diagnose muscle biopsy specimens for the full range of diseases in both adults and children. Authored by Dr. Victor Dubowitz, an internationally renowned figure in the field of muscle disease, this medical reference book takes an integrated approach to diagnosis and assessment of muscle biopsies that includes clinical, genetic, biochemical, and pathological features. It's the comprehensive, up-to-date coverage you need to evaluate muscle disorders with confidence.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Apply all of the latest diagnostic techniques for neurodegenerative and genetic diseases with a brand-new chapter on myopathies associated with systemic disorders and aging, and use advanced techniques such as immunohistochemistry and immunoblotting to produce the most accurate diagnoses possible for a full range of muscle disorders.
- Stay current in practice with state-of-the-art coverage of genetic markers for individual conditions and antibodies used in immunocytochemical diagnosis.
- Understand the genetics of muscular dystrophies with absolute clarity through the use of brilliantly simple diagrams and tables, and compare your specimens to a wealth of superb color images capturing the full spectrum of muscle biopsy findings.
- Take advantage of international insights and fresh perspectives in muscle diseases and disorders from new author Dr. Anders Oldfors, from the Department of Pathology, University of Goteborg, Sweden.
- Bridge the gap between clinical syndromes/disorders and their underlying pathologies with the guidance of muscle disease expert, Dr. Victor Dubowitz, who skillfully guides you through the complexities of pathologic diagnoses and their implications for clinical treatment.
- Understand and apply expert techniques for obtaining a muscle biopsy, and familiarize yourself with the histochemical, histological, electron microscopical, and molecular appearance of normal muscle and the pathology of individual muscle disease.
- Read the entire contents and download all of the images online at Expert Consult.
"The third edition of this book...has surpassed my expectations. The quality of the book overall is excellent, from the production and layout to the illustrations, diagrams and index. The range of muscle diseases included spans both adults and children, with an integrated approach to diagnosis including clinical, genetic, biochemical and pathological features. Overall, this book has been a highlight of the past year for me. It deserves to do very well indeed and will be of immense value beyond its target readership."
-BMA Awards, 2007, Review of the 3rd Edition
By Victor Dubowitz, MD, PhD, FRCP, FRCPCH, Emeritus Professor of Paediatrics
Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre
Faculty of Medicine
Imperial College London
London; Caroline A. Sewry, BSc, PhD, FRCPath, Professor of Muscle Pathology, Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK; Centre for Inherited Neuromuscular Disorders, Department of Histopathology, Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry, UK and Anders Oldfors, MD PhD, Professor and Director Institute of Biomedicine,
University of Gothenburg,