Oh's Intensive Care Manual, 6th Edition
The sixth edition of Oh’s Intensive Care Manual provides practical, concise information on all aspects of intensive care. Written in a clear and accessible style and now for the first time presented in colour throughout, this book enables the user to manage a patient in an ICU setting effectively without recourse to large text/reference works or specialized monographs.
This thoroughly revised and updated edition reflects the best and most current practice from leading centres in Australia, the UK and Western Europe. Although primarily intended for the trainee and practitioner in intensive care, nurses and other allied health professionals will find that this is an invaluable tool in helping to deal with a broad spectrum of conditions encountered in the ICU.
New to This Edition
- Addition of colour throughout to highlight summary boxes, tables, charts and flow diagrams.Will make key information more accessible, easier and faster to retrieve.
- Line drawings extensively re-done in colour throughout.Will improve the user’s understanding of the physiological processes under discussion.
- 5-10 Key points added at end of chapters. Will provide the user with a useful summary of the essential bottom line information.
- Pitfalls in treatment and management emphasized in each chapter.Providers the user with expert advice on practical issues that will be encountered on a day-to-day basis in the ICU.
- Includes the most current classification and “clinical scoring” schemes.
- Keeps the user abreast of the latest developments in diagnosis and management.
- Represents a consensus of practice/standard of care in Australia/NZ, UK and Europe.
- Treatment guidelines are authoritative since they follow those that are Recommended/laid down by Professional societies.
- Comprehensive, covers all important areas of intensive care medicine.
- Provides a single resource that will cover everything that a user will need to know during the course of an ICU rotation. No need to refer to a larger textbook.
- Information on management and treatment of conditions is balanced by pathophysiological and pharmacological background. This is not just a "cook book" of procedures. It provides all of the essential information for candidates wishing to pass professional examinations.
- Covers the paediatric as well as the adult patient in the ICU.
- Provides quick access and practical guidance for all clinical scenarios.
- Extensive list of key references most taken from the last three years.
- Helps trainees and practitioners prepare for case conference/presentations.
"The short and succinct chapters pack in the essential items of knowledge. Each area covered gives both theoretical basis, but also the practical ways of treating the condition being described and the evidence basis for doing so."
BMA Book Awards 2009 - judges comments
Edited by Andrew Bersten, MB, BS, MD, FANZCA, FJFICM, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Flinders Medical Centre and School of Medicine, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia; and Neil Soni, MB, ChB, FANZCA, FRCA, MD, FJFICM, Consultant in Intensive Care and Anaesthesia, Director and Lead Clinician, Intensive Care Unit, Magill Department of Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Management, Hon. Senior Lecturer, Imperial College Medical School, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK