Psychiatric Drugs Explained, 5th Edition
This version is now out of print. An edition with e-book is available under ISBN 97880702041365.
Psychiatric Drugs Explained contains a clear and comprehensive guide to the uses, benefits and impact of psychotropic drugs. It explains how people taking the drugs experience their side effects compared to the benefits they may bring. The fifth edition has been fully revised and updated to include the latest thinking on the rationale for drug treatements to help mental health professionals and service users understand therapeutic decision making.
New to This Edition
* New antipsychotic drugs and metabolic complications
* New antidepressants
* How drugs and therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy interact and compete
* Drugs that affect sexual functioning
* Evidence-based medicine
* Organized by disorder
* Comprehensive review of drug effects, action and side-effects
* 'User issues' boxes to highlight particular problems experienced
* Website addresses to allow searching for further information
* Questionnaires to help assess side effects
"This edition, like the others, gives a clear and easy to read review of medication used in a range of psychiatric disorders. The book is structured around treatments for severe and enduring mental illness, minor mental health problems, sleep disorders, sexual problems and dependence and withdrawal... It is a credit to Dr. Healy that he can make such a complex topic as psychopharmacology easy to read, clear and engaging. If this book seems critical of the interests of ‘big pharma’ and the complicity of professionals in generating a market for psychiatric drugs, then maybe that is no bad thing." Nurse Education in Process, May 2009
By David Healy, MD, FRCPsych, Director, North Wales Department of Psychological Medicine, College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Bangor, UK