Essential Surgery, 4th Edition
Problems, Diagnosis and Management: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Essential Surgery is a comprehensive and highly illustrated textbook for clinical students as well as a practical manual for junior doctors and those preparing for postgraduate qualifications in surgery. The unique feature of the book is its problem-orientated nature as distinct to the traditional disease-based structure.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Now with full text online on Student Consult.
- Comprehensively updated in line with the evolution and refinement of surgery over the past few years, by an expanded author team and an advisory group of surgical and radiological experts.
- All line drawings re-presented for greater impact and clarity.
- All radiological images reviewed and updated.
- Includes a new chapter on screening.
- Incorporates all the latest consensus guidelines for managing common disorders.
- Explains the pathophysiological basis of surgical diseases and of their management to help bridge the gap between the basic medical sciences and clinical problems.
- Adopts a problem-solving rather than a disease-orientated approach to diagnosis and treatment, reflecting current teaching trends which emphasise the full understanding of how a diagnosis is made and why a particular treatment is used.
- Includes information about epidemiology, disease prevention and the provision of health care, and tries to relate the community aspects of surgical problems to aetiology, disease prevention and primary care.
- Contains outlines of common surgical operations, to enable students and junior doctors to explain operations to patients and to allow them to participate intelligently in the operating department, as well as giving them an understanding of how to prevent complications.
- Includes a major section on accident surgery related to the general surgeon.
Awarded First Prize British Medical Association Book Awards 2008
"This is the best undergraduate surgical textbook I have seen for a long time. It may contain less detail than some of the classic texts but it is well-balanced for the current medical course. This is a book to be read and studied rather than a synopsis or aide mémoire to surgery to be carried in the pocket. There is of course a market for both but I would see this as being the more useful especially as the purchase price includes web access to the book. This is the book I will now be recommending to my students!"
"The forth edition has been revised extensively. There is an execellent new chapter on screening...The book is divided into four major sections, the largest of which describes the symptoms, diagnosis and management of surgical problems in a traditional disease-based approach. The individual chapters are consistently well written and superbly illustrated."
British Journal of Surgery 2009; 95; 535
By H. George Burkitt, BDScHons(Queensland), FRACDS, MMedSci(Nottingham), MB, BChirCambridge), FRACGP, FACPsychMed, General Medical Practitioner and Medical Author, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia; Clive R. G. Quick, MB, BS(London), FDS, FRCS(England), MS(London), MA(Cambridge), Consultant General and Vascular Surgeon, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon; Associate Lecturer in Surgery, University of Cambridge; Former Examiner in Basic Sciences and Clinical Surgery for FRCS and MRCS(England); Joanna B Reed, BMedSci(Hons), BM BS(Nottingham), FRCS(Eng), Clinical Director for Surgery and Consultant Laparoscopic and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon, UK; and Philip J. Deakin, BSc(Hons), MBChB(Sheffield), General Medical Practitioner, Sheffield, UK