Occupational Therapy and Mental Health, 4th Edition
Limited Stock - Order Soon
The book is a comprehensive textbook for occupational therapy students and occupational therapists working in the field of mental health. It presents different theories and approaches used, outlines the occupational therapy process, discusses the context of practice, and describes a wide range of techniques used by occupational therapists. These include physical activity, cognitive approaches, group work, creative activities, play and life skills. The fourth edition has been extensively revised and updated. The new structure reflects changes in service delivery and includes sections on philosophy and theory base, the occupational therapy process, ensuring quality, the context of occupational therapy, occupations, and client groups. Important new areas that are now covered include mental health promotion, evidence-based practice, community development, and continuing professional development.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Interior will include colour for the first time
- Chapter on Health, wellness and occupation to include more on occupational science and the effects of occupational deprivation
- Chapter on knowledge base of occupational therapy to act as a primer for themes that will recur throughout the book. To include more on productivity.
- Chapter on Assessment to include outcome measurement
- Chapter on Roles and settings to include extended roles
- Chapter on Ethics to include risks and dilemmas
- Chapter on Mental health promotion to include primary care
- Chapter on Acute psychiatry to include intensive care, work rehabilitation
- Chapter on Approaches to severe and enduring mental illness to include rehabilitation and work rehabilitation
- Chapter on Marginalised populations to include homeless people and ethnic minority groups
- Chapter on Management and budgeting to be combined chapter with much less on budgeting
- Addresses the needs of the undergraduate course - covers all the student needs for this subject area in one volume.
- Links between theory and practice are reinforced throughout
- Written by a team of experienced OT teachers and practitioners
- Comprehensive - covers theory, skills and applications as well as management
- The clear structure with the division of chapters into six distinct sections makes it easy to learn and revise from as well as easy to refer to for quick reference in the clinical situation.
- Provides key reading and reference lists to encourage and facilitate more in-depth study on any aspect.
- It is written in a style that is easy to read and understand; yet there is enough depth to take students through to their final year of education.
- Chapters on the application of occupational therapy are written by practising clinicians, so they are up-to-date and realistic.
- For qualified occupational therapists, the book includes a review of current theories and approaches to practice, with references so that they can follow up topics of particualr interest.
- Suitable for BSc and BSc (Hons) occupational therapy courses.
"I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to occupational therapy students, new practitioners and more experienced practitioners who want to refresh and update their
International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, August 2008, Vol 15, No 8
"..The book is a noteworthy achievement in the manner in which it brings together so many disparate experienced voices in mental health practice. The outcome is a very valuable reference book not only for the student practitioner, at whom it is primarily aimed, but also for practising therapists wanting to keep abreast of recent developments."
British Journal of Occupational Therapy February 2009 72(2)
Edited by Jennifer Creek, DipCOT, Freelance Occupational Therapist, North Yorkshire; and Lesley Lougher, BscSoc, DipCOT, Freelance Occupational Therapist working in the Voluntary sector, Peterborough, UK