General and Systematic Pathology , 5th Edition
with STUDENT CONSULT Access
This highly acclaimed textbook is written specifically for students of medicine and related health science subjects. It progresses from a review of general pathology principles and disease mechanisms through detailed discussions of the pathologic entities associated with each organ system. Nearly 700 full-color photographs and pathology slides bring the content to life. The fifth edition features extensive updates throughout to reflect the latest discoveries in cellular and molecular pathology, and offers a web site that presents self-assessment material and illustrated clinical case studies.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New co-editor, Dr Simon Cross.
- Structure of chapters revised to make the book much easier to use during courses that are problem- or case-based.
- Several new contributors and re-written chapters.
- Expanded International Advisory Board.
- Contents perfectly matches needs on medical students.
- Very clinical approach matches integrated courses.
- Extensive International Advisory Board validates contents.
- Each organ system chapter begins with a brief review of normal structure and function, emphasizing aspects that are important to an understanding of the subsequently discussed disease processes.
- Offers a superb collection of clinical photographs, histopathology images, and graphics, approximately 700 in all, that richly depict the appearance of both healthy and diseased tissues.
Underwood’s pathology is a very concise and yet full guide through the progression of diseases. It is fantastic for PBL because it gives you a basic pathological outline and explains the technical terminology as it goes. It uses some good clear flow diagrams and very memorable pictures to hammer the point home. I find it has a perfect level of detail for first and second year. Histological changes in tissues are also included which cuts down on research time. It also finds space to include other aspects of illness such as aetiology and recent advances in the field.
The layout into pathologies of each body system makes the book easy to use effectively. Any time where there is reference made to another part of the book a page number is provided. The index is well detailed and accurate.
It is very easy to read as the sentences are short and to the point, and paragraphs broken up by tables and diagrams. - Medical Student, University of Glasgow
"This is the definitive UK textbook of pathology...The range of coverage provided by Underwood and Cross in general and systematic pathology is excellent...This new edition of Underwood and Cross expands on previous success and cements its postition as the market leader for undergraduate UK pathology and in curricula worldwide based on the UK system." The Bulletin, January 2010
By James C. E. Underwood, MD, FRCPath, FRCP, FMedSci, Emeritus Professor of Pathology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK and Simon S. Cross, MD, FRCPath, Senior Lecturer, Department of Pathology, University of Sheffield Medical School