Psychiatric Nursing, 7th Edition
Learn the therapeutic skills you need to succeed in the nurse’s role in psychiatric care! Psychiatric Nursing, 7th Edition uses a practical approach to psychotherapeutic management that clearly explains how to manage and treat individuals with psychiatric disorders. It emphasizes the nurse’s three primary tools: you and your relationship with patients, medications, and the environment. This edition adds a new chapter on forensics along with coverage of the latest trends and treatments. Written by educators Norman Keltner and Debbie Steele, this text provides a solid, real-world foundation for the practice of safe and effective psychiatric nursing care.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! DSM-5 information is integrated throughout the text, along with updated content and NANDA content.
- NEW! Survivors of Violence and Trauma chapter focuses on psychiatric treatment for individuals with mental illness in sex trafficking and forensic environments, along with the social implications for individuals, families, and communities.
- NEW! Integration of QSEN competencies highlights the competencies relevant to psychiatric nursing care such as safety, communication, evidence-based practice and others.
- NEW! Additional NCLEX® examination-style review questions on the Evolve companion website cover concepts likely to appear on class tests and the NCLEX exam.
- Unique! A practical, three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management includes: 1) the therapeutic nurse-patient relationship, 2) psychopharmacology, and 3) milieu management.
- Unique! Norm’s Notes offer helpful tips from the lead author, Norman Keltner, at the beginning of each chapter, making it easier to understand difficult topics.
- Nursing care plans highlight the nurse’s role in psychiatric care, emphasizing assessment, planning, nursing diagnoses, implementation, and evaluation for specific disorders.
- Case studies depict psychiatric disorders and show the development of effective nursing care strategies.
- Unique! Putting It All Together summaries are provided at the end of each psychopathology chapter.
- Clinical examples from the authors’ own experiences illustrate concepts with real-life clinical situations.
- Study Notes summarize each chapter’s important content.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter preview the important principles to follow.
- Critical thinking questions help you develop clinical reasoning skills.
- Family Issues boxes highlight the issues that families must confront when a member suffers from mental illness.
- Learning resources on the Evolve companion website include video lectures, psychotropic drug monographs, and NCLEX® exam-style review questions.
- Patient and Family Education boxes highlight information that the nurse should provide to patients and families.
- A glossary defines key terms, providing a handy reference at the back of the book.
- Full-text reviews of the current edition will be commissioned in anticipation of the revision.
- First-draft manuscript of new key chapters will be reviewed by at least two nurse educators and/or clinicians for completeness and accuracy.
- TestBank questions will be reviewed by at least one nurse educator for completeness and accuracy.
By Norman L. Keltner, EdD, RN, CRNP, Professor, School of Nursing, University of Alabama - Birmingham, Birmingham, AL and Debbie Steele