Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office, 7th Edition
Be prepared to handle life-threatening dental emergencies! Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office, 7th Edition helps you learn the skills needed to manage medical emergencies in the dental office or clinic. It describes how to recognize and manage medical emergencies promptly and proactively, and details the resources that must be on hand to deal effectively with these situations. This edition includes new guidelines for drug-related emergencies, cardiac arrest, and more. Written by respected educator Dr. Stanley Malamed, this expert resource provides dental professionals with the tools for implementing a basic action plan for managing medical emergencies.
"It successfully fulfils its aim of stimulating all members of the dental team to improve and maintain their skills in the effective prevention, recognition and management of medical emergencies." Reviewed by: European Journal of Orthodontics Date: March 2015Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- UPDATED content includes the most current guidelines for drug-related emergencies, unconsciousness, altered consciousness, and cardiac arrest as well as protocols for obstructed airway management.
- UPDATED PCABD boxes reflect the American Heart Association’s new sequence of steps for stabilizing and treating victims with an easy-to-remember acronym: Positioning, Circulation, Airway, Breathing, and Definitive Management.
- UPDATED! Emergency drug and equipment kit instructions help you assemble emergency kits and ensure that your dental office has safe, current materials on hand.
- A logical format reflects the way emergencies are encountered in a dental practice, with chapters organized by commonly seen clinical signs and symptoms, such as unconsciousness or altered consciousness, respiratory distress, seizures, drug-related emergencies, chest pain, and cardiac arrest.
- Step-by-step procedures include detailed, numbered instructions for stabilizing and treating victims (PCABD) in common medical emergencies.
- Full-color illustrations demonstrate emergency techniques in realistic clarity.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to find essential concepts and information.
- Quick-reference algorithms in the appendix include step-by-step diagrams showing the decision-making process in common emergency situations.
- A differential diagnosis chapter ends each of the book’s parts on common emergencies.
"The seventh edition of Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office by Stanley F. Malamed provides an excellent comprehensive reference source to relevant medical emergencies for all members of the dental team and reflects the most up to date American Heart Association’s Guidelines.This book promises to be a key source of information for all members of the dental team in all care settings and of immense value for those involved in developing training and lectures on this topic, especially with the latest online components available. It successfully fulfils its aim of stimulating all members of the dental team to improve and maintain their skills in the effective prevention, recognition and management of medical emergencies." Reviewed by: European Journal of Orthodontics Date: March 2015
By Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA