Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Dentistry - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 6th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books.
Use your knowledge of pharmacology to enhance oral care! Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Dentistry, 6th Edition describes how to evaluate a patient's health and optimize dental treatment by factoring in the drugs they take. It explores the basic fundamentals of pharmacology, special topics such as pain control, fear and anxiety, and oral complications of cancer therapy, and most importantly, the actions of specific drug groups on the human body. Whether you're concerned about the drugs a patient is already taking or the drugs you prescribe for treatment, this book helps you reduce risk and provide effective dental care.
New to This Edition
- New Pharmacogenetics and Pharmacogenomics chapter covers the effects of genetic traits of patients on their responses to drugs.
- A NEW introductory section offers tips for the study of dental pharmacology and relates pharmacology to dental considerations.
- An updated discussion of drug-drug interactions covers the harmful effects of mixing medications.
- Coverage of adverse effects and mechanisms of COX-2 inhibitors, antibiotic prophylaxis, and antiplaque agents explains the dental risks relating to common drug treatments.
- An emphasis on the dental applications of pharmacology relates drugs to dental considerations in clinical practice.
- Dental aspects of many drug classes are expanded to include antibiotics, analgesics, and anesthetics.
- The Alternative Medicine in Dentistry chapter discusses chemicals used as alternative medicines and assesses their potential benefits and risks.
- The Nonopioid Analgesics chapter groups together non-opioid analgesics, nonsterioidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and antirheumatic and antigout drugs, making these easier to locate and study.
- Coverage of the endocrine system includes four separate chapters for the most comprehensive coverage.
- Drug Interactions in Clinical Dentistry appendix lists potential interactions between drugs a patient is taking for nondental conditions and drugs that may be used or prescribed during dental treatment, including effects and recommendations.
- Glossary of Abbreviations appendix includes the most common abbreviations used for drugs or conditions.
By John A. Yagiela, DDS, PhD, Professor and Chair, Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, School of Dentistry, Professor of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA; Enid A. Neidle, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Pharmacology, New York University, New York, NY; Former Assistant Executive Director, Scientific Affairs, American Dental Association, Chicago, IL; Frank J. Dowd, DDS, PhD, Professor, Department of Pharmacology; Professor, Department of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE; Bart Johnson, DDS, MS, Director, General Practice Residency Program, Swedish Medical Center; Private Practice, Seattle Special Dentistry, Seattle, WA; Angelo Mariotti, DDS, PhD, Professor and Chair, Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH