Small Animal Surgery Textbook - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. The 3rd edition of this classic textbook continues to serve as a one-stop resource for authoritative information on all aspects of small animal surgery. Coverage includes basic procedures such as spays, castrations, and declaws, as well as more advanced surgeries that might be referred to specialists such as craniotomy, ventral slots, and lung lobectomy. Discussions of general surgical procedures include sterile technique, surgical instrumentation, suturing, preoperative care, and antibiotic use. Key sections provide clinically relevant coverage of soft tissue surgery, orthopedic surgery, and neurosurgery.
New to This Edition
- A new chapter on Fundamentals of Physical Rehabilitation details the basics of physical rehabilitation for practitioners who want to integrate physical therapy into practice.
- A new chapter on Principles of Minimally Invasive Surgery that describes the principles of performing surgery with the least instrumentation possible, including instrument selection and care and basic techniques.
- A new chapter on Surgery of the Eye that discusses diseases and disorders of the eye, their medical management, and corrective surgical procedures.
- Expanded coverage of perioperative multimodal analgesic therapy.
- Updated coverage of arthroscopy, canine elbow dysplasia, joint replacement, and management of osteoarthritis.
- The latest information on state-of-the-art radiologic techniques.
- Over 1500 full color illustrations provide exceptionally clear representations of anatomy and currently accepted surgical techniques, including approaches and closure.
- Over 600 full color photographs and radiographs offer clear images of specific disorders, diseases, and procedures.
- Information on the most efficient and cost-saving sterilization techniques including scrubless and waterless preparation solutions.
- General considerations and clinically relevant pathophysiology sections provide practical information for case management.
- Step-by-step instructions for surgical techniques are presented in italicized blue type for quick and easy reference.
- Special icons identify advanced procedures that should be referred to an experienced surgeon or specialist.
- Color-coded tables and boxes call attention to specific data, offering at-a-glance access to key information such as drug dosages, clinical signs, and analgesic protocols.
- Anesthesia Protocols provide quick and easy access to recommendations for anesthetizing animals with particular diseases or disorders.
By Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVS, Department of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX; Cheryl S. Hedlund, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS, Professor of Surgery and Chief, Companion Animal Surgery and Anesthesia, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA; Donald A. Hulse, DVM, Diplomate ACVS, Orthopedic Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX; Ann L. Johnson, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS, Professor, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL; Howard B. Seim, III, DVM, Diplomate ACVS, Head, Small Animal Surgery Section, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital; Associate Professor and Chief of Small Animal Surgery, Department of Clinical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO; Michael D. Willard, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM, Professor of Small Animal Internal Medicine; Staff Internist/Gastroenterologist, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX; Gwendolyn Carroll, MS, DVM, Diplomate, ACVA;