Contemporary Nursing, 6th Edition
Issues, Trends, & Management
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$42.87|
On the cutting edge of health care trends, this text prepares you for a successful nursing career.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management, 5th Edition prepares you for the rapidly evolving world of health care. It provides a comprehensive, yet focused overview of nursing topics affecting practice and issues facing today's nurse managers and tomorrow's nurse leaders. Written by well-known educators Barbara Cherry and Susan R. Jacob, this edition is fully revised and updated, giving you the most practical, balanced preparation for the issues, trends, and management topics you'll encounter in practice.
- Content mapped to the AACN BSN Essentials emphasizes intraprofessional teams, cultural humility and sensitivity, cultural competence, and the CLAS standards.
- Vignettes at the beginning of each chapter put nursing history and practice into perspective, followed by Questions to Consider While Reading This Chapter that help you reflect on the Vignettes and prepare you for the material to follow.
- Case studies throughout the text challenge you to apply key concepts to real-world practice.
- Coverage of leadership and management in nursing prepares you to function effectively in management roles.
- Career management strategies include advice for making the transition from student to practitioner and tips on how to pass the NCLEX-RN ® examination.
- Key terms, learning outcomes, and chapter overviews help you study more efficiently and effectively.
- Helpful websites and online resources provide ways to further explore each chapter topic.
- Safe and effective decision making is emphasized with a new Quality and Safety in Nursing Education (QSEN) chapter that highlights the six core quality competencies for working in a quality-focused system, plus new information on clinical practice guidelines and innovations in health care delivery.
- A focus on the nursing role includes new content on the jurisprudence examinations now required in many states, and additional content on contemporary ethical issues such as stem cell research, surrogate parenting, abortion, and gene typing.
- Coverage of teamwork and cultural sensitivity prepares you to work and communicate as team members across gender and cultural divides.
- Communication skills are promoted with new examples of effective and ineffective e-mail communication and a stronger focus on conflict management among coworkers.
- Coverage of nursing leadership includes the history, pros, and cons of collective bargaining in a new chapter, and relationships of cost, quality, and value in healthcare including issues such as "never events" and pay-for-performance.
- Nursing opportunities now include coverage of palliative care.
- Resources on the companion Evolve website include new Case Studies, interactive Student Learning Activities, and a Resume Builder.
By Barbara Cherry, DNSc, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, Barbara Cherry, DNSc, MBA, RN, NEA-BC
Department Chair for Leadership Studies;
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center,
School of Nursing;
and Susan R. Jacob, PhD, MSN, RN, Susan R. Jacob, PhD, RN;
Executive Associate Dean and Professor, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center,
College of Nursing; Memphis, Tennessee