Nursing Research, 8th Edition
Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice
Appraise and apply nursing research to practice with this easy-to-understand textTable of Contents
New to This Edition
Now in full color, this easy-to-understand textbook offers a comprehensive introduction to nursing research concepts and methods. Evidence-based practice is emphasized throughout, with clear guidelines for evaluating research and applying scientific evidence to practice. Coverage includes qualitative and quantitative research, appraising and critiquing research, critical thinking, and clinical decision-making using research information.
- Balanced coverage acquaints you with the processes behind research and evidence-based practice.
- Distinct coverage of qualitative and quantitative research approaches are presented in separate parts of the book to avoid the confusion that often results when the two are interwoven.
- Complete, high-quality research examples, including three sample critiques, demonstrate how to apply the principles outlined in the text to published quantitative and qualitative research studies.
- Research Vignettes help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- All-star cast of contributors represents a widely respected team of experts in nursing research and evidence-based practice.
- Each chapter contains a variety of popular learning aids, including Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, Helpful Hints, Evidence-Based Practice Tips, Appraising the Evidence, Critiquing Criteria, Critique of a Research Study, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, Critical Thinking Challenges, and Key Points.
- An increased focus on evidence-based practice highlights its importance to nursing research and addresses the proper way to appraise and apply research to practice.
- Completely updated content includes new sample research articles that keep you current with the latest research topics and trends.
- A user-friendly, full-color layout features helpful boxes, tables, and illustrations that highlight key concepts and help you quickly find information.
- Balanced coverage of qualitative and quantitative research ensures each type is equally represented in value and importance to evidence-based practice.
- A set of Research Appraisal Guidelines inside the back cover offers quick reference for completing assignments or evaluating research.
By Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN, Director of Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice, Planning and Development, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas;
Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas and Judith Haber, PhD, APRN, BC, FAAN, The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing and Associate Dean for Graduate Programs, College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York