Introduction to Critical Care Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Here’s the essential information you need to know in critical care nursing — all in one concise text! Using a to-the-point, reader friendly approach, Introduction to Critical Care Nursing, 5th Edition, provides authoritative, real-world information on the important concepts of critical care nursing and the assessment and technical skills associated with the management of critically ill patients. The latest content on the technology makes it easy to learn and understand how to use the equipment you’ll use in the field. Nursing care chapters are organized according to the nursing process framework, and you’ll find detailed nursing care plans in every management chapter. Case studies and critical thinking questions challenge you to apply what you’ve learned, and user-friendly features throughout the text (updated pharmacology tables, clinical and laboratory alerts, and evidence-based practice boxes) help you bridge the gap between concepts and clinical practice.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Now full-color throughout, new, vibrant artwork and anatomical images are in true-to-life color.
- A new chapter on end-of-life care covers ethical and legal matters, palliative care, withholding of therapies, and communication issues — all essential concerns confronting today’s critical care nurse.
- New features on evidence-based practice, genetics, transplantation, and geriatric considerations offer realistic, easy-to-understand information on some of the most important and rapidly changing topics in critical care today.
- Nursing Care Plans provide nursing diagnoses, expected patient outcomes, and interventions with rationales to prepare you for clinical practice.
- Case Studies challenge you to apply concepts from the book to real-life patient situations to test their critical thinking skills.
- Streamlined and updated Pharmacology Tables detail the actions, indications, dosages and routes, and side effects of commonly used critical care drugs.
- Clinical Alerts promote optimal patient safety and outcomes by highlighting potential problems and concerns in the clinical setting.
- Laboratory Alerts discuss both common and cutting-edge tests and procedures, emphasizing the importance of laboratory test results to critical nursing care.
- Critical Thinking Questions in every chapter encourage you to use and reinforce the concepts presented throughout the chapter.
"Comprehensive and well laid out, it takes an in-depth approach to the fundamental concepts and tools for critical care nursing." Nursing Standard, September 2009
By Mary Lou Sole, PhD, RN, CCNS, CNL, FAAN, FCCM, Orlando Health Distinguished Professor, College of Nursing, University of Central Florida; Research Scientist, Orlando Health, Orlando, Florida; Deborah Goldenberg Klein, MSN, RN, APRN-BC, CCRN, FAHA, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Coronary ICU and Heart Failure ICU, Cleveland Clinic; Clinical Instructor, Francis Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio; Adjunct Faculty, College of Nursing, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio and Marthe J. Moseley, PhD, RN, CCNS, Associate Director Clinical Practice, Office of Nursing Services, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Critical Care, Veterans Healthcare Administration, Washington, DC; Professor, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, Provo, Utah; Adjunct Professor, University of Texas Health Science Center School of Nursing, San Antonio, Texas