Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Techncians - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Covering the role of the veterinary technician in large-animal care, Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, 2nd Edition provides a comprehensive guide to large-animal clinical diagnostic, medical, and surgical procedures. Not only does this book show why and how each procedure is performed, but it shows the vet tech's role in preparing for, assisting in, and following up on each one. Coverage of herd health care helps you understand the essentials of behavior and handling, safety, breeds, vaccination schedules, and common parasites. This edition adds case studies and clinical applications in each chapter, and a new section with an overview on livestock management. Written by educator and horse stable owner Kristin Holtgrew-Bohling, this book helps you pass your boards and gain certification, and can also be used as an on-the-job reference.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New section on the livestock industry provides a wider background of herd health care so you can better understand the practices, procedures, and decisions of large animal veterinary medicine.
- New section on llamas and alpacas helps you understand the health and maintenance of these increasingly popular domestic animals -- in the U.S., there are more than 12,000 alpaca herds and 25,000 llama owners.
- Emphasis on husbandry demonstrates how everyday housing and feeding affect care of common large animal diseases, including client education.
- Addition of case studies and clinical applications to each chapter helps you develop skills such as good history taking, decision making, and thinking on your feet.
- Coverage of herd health care includes behavior and handling, safety, breeds, vaccination schedules, and common parasites.
- Vet Tech Threads focus your learning with learning objectives, key terms, chapter outlines, and Technician Notes.
- Other added coverage includes photos of breeds and vaccination and parasite tables.
- A focus on the veterinary technician's role includes a description of each procedure in terms of the vet tech's responsibilities, explaining why and how the procedure is performed.
- Full-color photographs and line drawings show restraint, bandaging, physical examination techniques, and diagnostic procedures.
- A practical approach makes this text useful in classes and in clinical situations, so veterinary technicians, acting under instructions of veterinarians, can plan and follow through on procedures and treatment regimens for large animals.
- Proper medical terminology and common/layperson terminology are both used, helping you communicate effectively with clients and with other professionals.
- AVMA accreditation is promoted through coverage of the essential large animal-related tasks in the CVTEA Manual of Accreditation for Veterinary Technology Programs.
By Kristin J. Holtgrew-Bohling, BS, AAS, LVT, RLATG , Instructor, Veterinary Technology Program, Vatterott College, Omaha, NE; Iowa State University/ University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Professional Program of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014