Basic Geriatric Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; The bestselling LPN/LVN geriatric nursing textbook, Basic Geriatric Nursing, 5th Edition covers age-appropriate nursing interventions in a variety of health care settings. It includes the theories and concepts of aging, covers expected physiologic and psychosocial changes, and highlights delegation, coordinated care, end-of-life care, patient teaching, quality of life, safety, and home care. This edition is updated with the latest issues and trends in geriatric nursing, including changes to the health care system and demographics. Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Gloria Hoffman Wold's text provides a clear and compassionate introduction to geriatric care.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Updated discussion of issues and trends includes demographic factors and economic, social, cultural, and family influences.
- UNIQUE! Safety Alert! boxes highlight 2010-2011 Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals, with special consideration for polypharmacy and medication safety, communication and involving patients in their own health care, and infection, pneumonia, pressure ulcer, and fall prevention.
- UNIQUE! Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section at the end of each chapter includes key points along with new Review Questions for the NCLEX examination and critical thinking which may be used for individual, small group, or classroom review.
- UNIQUE! Streamlined coverage of nutrition and fluid balance integrates these essential topics.
- Complete coverage of key topics includes baby boomers and the impact of their aging on the health care system, therapeutic communication, cultural considerations, spiritual influences, evidence-based practice in geriatric nursing, and elder abuse, restraints, and ethical and legal issues in end-of-life care.
- UNIQUE! Delegation, leadership, and management content is integrated throughout.
- Nursing Process sections provide a framework for the discussion of the nursing care of the elderly patient as related to specific disorders.
- UNIQUE! A FREE Study Guide in the back of the book reinforces understanding with scenario-based clinical activities and practice questions.
- UNIQUE! Nursing interventions are numbered and grouped according to health care setting (e.g., acute care, extended care, home care), in a patient-centered approach emphasizing the unique needs of the older adult.
- UNIQUE! Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions help in understanding how a care plan is developed, how to evaluate care of a patient, and how to apply your knowledge to clinical scenarios.
- UNIQUE! Critical Thinking boxes help you to assimilate and synthesize information.
- Clinical Situation boxes present patient scenarios with lessons for appropriate nursing care and patient sensitivity.
- Coordinated Care boxes address such topics as restraints, elder abuse, and end-of-life care as related to responsibilities of nursing assistants and other health care workers who are supervised by LPN/LVNs.
- UNIQUE! Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes address specific therapies commonly used by the geriatric population for health promotion and pain relief.
- Cultural Considerations boxes encourage culturally sensitive care of older adults.
- UNIQUE! Patient Teaching boxes highlight health promotion, disease prevention, and age-specific interventions.
- UNIQUE! LPN Threads make learning easier, featuring an appropriate reading level, key terms with phonetic pronunciations and text page references, chapter objectives, special features boxes, and full-color art, photographs, and design.
By Gloria Hoffman Wold, RN, BSN, MS, Nursing Instructor, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Milwaukee, WI