Canine and Feline Nutrition - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
A Resource for Companion Animal Professionals
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; How well can you answer pet owners' questions about proper diet and feeding? Canine and Feline Nutrition, 3rd Edition describes the role of nutrition and its effects upon health and wellness and the dietary management of various disorders of dogs and cats. By using the book's cutting-edge research and clinical nutrition information, you'll be able to make recommendations of appropriate pet food and proper feeding guidelines. Pet nutrition experts Linda P. Case, MS, Leighann Daristotle, DVM, PhD, Michael G. Hayek, PhD, and Melody Foess Raasch, DVM, provide complete, head-to-tail coverage and a broad scope of knowledge, so you can help dog and cat owners make sound nutrition and feeding choices to promote their pets' health to prolong their lives.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New clinical information covers a wide range of emerging nutrition topics including the role of the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid families in pet health and disease management.
- Coverage of pet food safety and pet food ingredients includes both commercially and home-prepared foods and provides answers to pet owners’ questions on these topics.
- Completely updated content reflects the latest findings in clinical nutrition research.
- Information regarding functional ingredients and dietary supplementation provides a scientifically based rationale for recommending or advising against dietary supplements.
- Guidelines for understanding pet food formulations and health claims differentiate between "market-speak" and actual clinical benefits for patients, with practice advice for evaluating and selecting appropriate foods.
- Tables and boxes provide quick reference to the most important clinical information.
- Key points summarize essential information at a glance.
- A useful Nutritional Myths and Feeding Practices chapter dispels and corrects common food myths.
"Providing ‘Information…of value to veterinarians, animal scientists, nutritionists, breeders, exhibitors, judges, trainers, and hobbyists..the book is a sound and useful refresher, training aid and even a quick reference for veterinary surgeon, veterinary nurse, and practice pet health adviser."
"This book...is a good summary of the latest knowledge in the field...the format and the affordable price make it a useful tool for everyone to refer to in the clinic."
Vets Today, December 2010.
"A sound and useful refresher, training aid and even a quick reference for veterinary surgeons, veterinary nurses, and practice pet health advisers."
The Veterinary Record, Feb 2011
By Linda P. Case, MS, Autumn Gold Consulting, Mahomet, IL; Adjunct Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL; Leighann Daristotle, DVM, PhD, Manager, Scientific Communications, Procter & Gamble Pet Care, Lewisburg, OH; Michael G. Hayek, PhD, Associate Director, Research and Development, Procter & Gamble Pet Care, Lewisburg, OH and Melody Foess Raasch, DVM, Manager, Scientific Communications, Procter & Gamble Pet Care, Mason, OH