Occupational Therapy with Elders - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Strategies for the Occupational Therapy Assistant
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; The only comprehensive book on geriatric occupational therapy designed specifically for the COTA, Occupational Therapy with Elders: Strategies for the COTA, 3rd Edition provides in-depth coverage of each aspect of geriatric practice, from wellness and prevention to death and dying. A discussion of foundational concepts includes aging trends and strategies for elder care, and coverage of emerging areas includes low-vision rehabilitation, mobility issues including driving, and Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia. Expert authors Ren?Padilla, Sue Byers-Connon, and Helene Lohman offer an unmatched discussion of diverse populations and the latest on geriatric policies and procedures in this fast-growing area of practice.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Unique! A discussion of elder abuse, battered women, and literacy includes information on how the COTA can address these often-overlooked issues.
- New information on alternative treatment settings for elders reflects new trends in OT care.
- Updated information on Medicare, Medicaid, and HIPAA regulations discusses the latest policies and how to incorporate the newest procedures into practice.
- Significant additions are made to the chapters on public policy, dementia, and oncology.
- Unique! A focus on the occupational therapy assistant highlights the importance of COTAs to the care of elder clients.
- Case studies illustrate principles and help you apply what you've learned to actual situations.
- Key terms, chapter objectives, and review questions highlight important content in each chapter.
- Use of the term "elder" reduces the stereotypical role of dependent patients and helps to dispel myths about aging.
- A multidisciplinary approach demonstrates how the OT and the COTA can collaborate effectively.
- Unique! Attention to diverse populations and cultures prepares you to respect and care for clients of different backgrounds.
- Unique! The companion Evolve website makes review easier with more learning activities, references linked to MEDLINE abstracts, and links to related OT sites.
By Rene Padilla, MS, OTR/L, Creighton University, Omaha, NE; Sue Byers-Connon, BA, COTA/L, ROH, Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, OR and Helene Lohman, MA, OTD, OTR/L, Associate Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy, Creighton University, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Omaha, NE, USA