General Medical Conditions in the Athlete - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; A one-stop reference for the diagnosis and treatment of athletic injuries and illnesses, General Medical Conditions in the Athlete, 2nd Edition provides in-depth coverage of all the aspects of non-orthopedic pathology that can occur within athletes. Full-color photos enhance comprehension of the material, which is logically organized into 19 chapters. The beginning chapters cover fundamental areas such as the medical examination, equipment, diagnostic imaging and testing, and pharmacology. Later chapters, organized by body systems, cover the actual medical conditions and include all educational competencies mandated by the National Athletic Trainers' Association for program accreditation. The last two chapters cover psychosocial and substance abuse disorders and working with special populations. Experienced authors Micki Cuppett and Katie Walsh provide unrivaled online resources, including nearly one hour of video showing examples of patient evaluation procedures.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Unique full-color illustrations aid comprehension of the anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of the medical conditions discussed.
- Unique Common Procedures in the Athletic Training Clinic chapter discusses the expanding role of the athletic trainer, who in many states is allowed perform a variety of basic medical procedures, such as suturing or starting IV fluids.
- NEW Diagnostic Testing and Imaging chapter meets the need for mandated content included in the 2008 revised NATA educational competencies.
- An improved logical organization makes this book an ideal clinical reference, beginning with foundational content followed by chapters discussing medical conditions by body system, then detailing psychosocial and substance abuse disorders and working with special populations in the last two chapters.
- The expanded companion Evolve website includes nearly one hour of video clips with examples of patient evaluation procedures.
- Unique one-stop reference is the most comprehensive of its kind, with 19 chapters covering all aspects of non-orthopedic pathology plus a full complement of online resources.
- Unique Key Points boxes highlight expert advice and guidance for practice.
- Unique Red Flags boxes call attention to important and often life-threatening information concerning a variety of medical conditions.
- NATA competencies are incorporated throughout, covering all the content mandated by the National Athletic Trainers' Association for program accreditation.
- More than 400 illustrations, most in full color, include both anatomical and clinical images.
- A consistent format in body systems chapters makes information easy to find, first outlining the condition's signs and symptoms and then detailing the appropriate referral and diagnostic tests, the differential diagnosis, the treatment, the prognosis, and the return to athletic participation.
- Learning Objectives begin each chapter, outlining what you should know after studying the material.
- Key terms are bolded on first reference within a chapter, and defined in a back-of-book glossary.
- Expert author team offers authoritative content based on nearly 50 years of combined experience in athletic training education.
By Micki Cuppett, EdD, ATC, LAT, Director, Athletic Training Education, Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL and Katie Walsh, EdD, ATC, LAT, Associate Professor, Director of Athletic Training Education Programs, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC