Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Edmunds helps you understand how drugs and drug classes work, rather than simply memorizing information about individual drugs. This book emphasizes the principles of safe drug administration, including coverage of math review and drug dosage calculation. It also covers “must-know” drugs - the ones you’ll see most often in clinical practice. A Companion CD includes Animations, Video Clips, interactive Drug Dosage Calculators, an Audio Glossary, and an expanded collection of Review Questions for the NCLEX-PN® Examination.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Improved readability and clarity make the content easier than ever to learn.
- Unique! 30 "must-know" drugs - those most commonly prescribed - are highlighted with icons and listed inside the back cover for quick reference.
- Do-Not-Confuse Drug List, located inside the back cover for quick reference, helps you avoid drug errors with common look-alike/sound-alike drug names.
- Pharmacology and the Nursing Process in LPN/LVN Practice chapter focuses on today’s LPN/LVN practice environment, including the increased levels of responsibility, increasing resource constraints, and common cultural misunderstandings.
- Coverage of patient teaching and cultural awareness now emphasizes pharmacology rather than disease processes, relating patient teaching, health literacy, and lifespan and cultural considerations to drug administration.
- Updated diabetes coverage reflects the latest developments in drug therapy for patients with diabetes mellitus.
- Coverage of obesity management is expanded to reflect the national emphasis on reducing obesity in favor of healthy lifestyles that reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease, and related "lifestyle diseases."
- Expanded coverage of drug-resistant infections includes MRSA and other drug-resistant organisms.
- Integrated Video Clips and Animations on the Companion CD and Evolve website are now highlighted in the margins of the book.
- Geriatric Considerations boxes are expanded and updated to better identify special considerations in drug therapy for older adults.
- A focus on understanding drug classes rather than memorizing individual drugs helps you understand the actions and uses of drug classes and provides a framework for safe, effective practice as new drugs are introduced and as existing drugs are withdrawn from the market.
- Full-color design includes 195 drawings and photographs.
- Coverage of math review and medication administration includes three chapters on math review and drug dosage calculation, to promote safe drug administration.
- Consistent chapter format covers each drug class in a practical format including Action, Uses, Adverse Reactions, Drug and Food Interactions, and Nursing Implications and Patient Teaching sections.
- Application of the nursing process to each drug class includes Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, and Patient and Family Teaching.
- Key content is highlighted, as in all of Elsevier’s LPN Threads textbooks, with features such as Memory Joggers, Clinical Goldmines, Clinical Landmines, Pediatric Considerations, and Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes.
- Case Studies in all drug chapters offer practice in applying information to realistic clinical situations and help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN Examination.
- Drug Calculation Review questions reinforce your drug calculation and math skills in the context of clinical practice.
- Critical Thinking Questions at the end of each chapter promote higher-level thinking skills while reinforcing key concepts.
- Glossary includes all of the book’s Key Terms plus additional terminology that will be helpful in clinical practice, with audio pronunciations on the Companion CD and Evolve website.
"Overall this is a well written and a well presented book with a range of interesting and creative features which will undoubtedly help students to navigate through the complex and ever changing world of pharmacology." Nurse Education in Practice, November 2009
By Marilyn Winterton Edmunds, PhD, ANP/GNP, Adjunct Faculty, School of Nursing, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland; Editor, JNP: The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.