Sheehy's Emergency Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Principles and Practice
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; the product description may vary from the print textbook.
Written by emergency nurses for emergency nurses, this comprehensive, evidence-based resource covers the issues and procedures that are often unique to the emergency department. New developments and changes in clinical practice are incorporated throughout. The user-friendly format features more than 350 high-quality illustrations and 150 tables that highlight essential concepts and offer quick access to vital information. Key coverage includes clinical fundamentals, treatment for trauma and medical-surgical emergencies, the foundations of emergency nursing practice, and special populations.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Five new chapters bring you the most reliable, up-to-date information on these key topics:
- Management of the Critical Care Patient in the Emergency Department
- Family Presence During Resuscitation
- Forensic Nursing
- Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Agents of Mass Destruction
- Influenza: Seasonal, Avian, and Pandemic
- Expanded coverage of shock and sepsis provides essential information on pathophysiology and diagnosis, with valuable guidelines for managing these patients.
- A detailed discussion of various types of triage systems and triage acuity ratings examines valid and reliable methods for differentiating between patients who require immediate treatment and those who can wait.
- Additional coverage of behavioral health emergencies includes new information on agitation, substance abuse, and suicide prevention.
- 58 contributors offer valuable insights from a broad range of clinical positions in rural, suburban, and urban areas.
- High-quality radiographs and other diagnostic images help you learn to identify common conditions - especially head trauma, fractures, and dislocations.
- Logically organized, chapters are grouped into six sections for quick access to important content: Foundations of Emergency Nursing, Professional Practice, Clinical Foundations of Emergency Nursing, Major Trauma Emergencies, Medical and Surgical Emergencies, and Special Patient Populations.
- Tables and boxes highlight and summarize critical information for at-a-glance reference.
- A separate unit on special patient populations covers topics such as child abuse, elder abuse, intimate partner violence, sexual assault, substance abuse and behavioral/pediatric/obstetrical emergencies.
- Priority nursing diagnoses are highlighted in a quick-reference appendix to help you focus on the most serious problems.