Pharmacology and the Nursing Process - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; This market-leading text is known for presenting challenging content in a clear and consistent format that is engaging and readable. With an eye-catching design, full-color illustrations, and helpful, practical boxed features that highlight need-to-know information, the new edition of this bestseller continues its tradition of making pharmacology easy to learn and understand.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Critical Thinking Activities and Best Action Questions focus on prioritization, challenging you to determine the best action to take.
- NCLEX® Examination Review Questions now include Alternate-Item Format questions, preparing you for these new types of questions found on the NCLEX® exam.
- New case studies have been added, and all cases now include patient photos along with accompanying questions to provoke critical thinking.
- Pharmacokinetic Bridges to the Nursing Process sections now cover ACE inhibitors, iron, and women’s health issues applying key pharmacokinetics information to nursing practice.
- A focus on prioritization identifies key nursing information and helps in preparation for the NCLEX® Examination.
- Presents drugs and their classes as they relate to different parts of the body, facilitating integration of the text with your other nursing courses.
- Features numerous full-color photos and illustrations pertaining to drug mechanisms of action and step-by-step illustrations depicting key steps in drug administration for various routes, so you can clearly see how drugs work in the body and how to administer medications safely and effectively.
- Drug Profiles highlight the pharmacokinetics and unique variations of individual drugs.
- Includes Patient Teaching Tips in each chapter to foster patient compliance and effective drug therapy.
- Helpful summary boxes are integrated throughout, covering Evidence-Based Practice, Preventing Medication Errors, Laboratory Values Related to Drug Therapy, Cultural Implications, Herbal Therapies, Life Span Considerations, Points to Remember, and Legal and Ethical Principles.
- Illustrated Study Skills Tips in each unit cover study tips, time management, and test taking strategies related specifically to nursing pharmacology.
- Includes a convenient tear-out IV Compatibilities Chart that alerts you to drugs that are incompatible when given intravenously.
- Evolve Student Resources include online access to additional chapter-specific NCLEX® review questions, animations, medication errors checklists, IV therapy checklists, printable handouts with need-to-know information about key drug classes, calculators, an audio glossary, answers to case studies and critical thinking activities in the text, frequently asked questions, content updates, nursing care plans covering key drug classes, and online appendices.
By Linda Lane Lilley, PhD, RN, University Professor and Associate Professor Emeritus, School of Nursing, Old Dominion University, Virginia Beach, VA; Scott Harrington, PharmD, Harrington Health Informatics, LLC, Tucson, AZ; Director of Pharmacy, Northern Cochise Community Hospital, Willcox, AZ; Julie S. Snyder, MSN, RN-BC, Adjunct Faculty, School of Nursing, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia and Shelly Rainforth Collins, PharmD, Coordinator of Clinical Pharmacy Services, Chesapeake Regional Medical Center; President, Drug Information Consultants, Chesapeake, Virginia, USA