Anesthesia and Analgesia for Veterinary Technicians - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; This guide to the principles of anesthesia administration in animals combines user-friendly coverage of essential information with an outstanding illustration program and improved readability. Anesthesia and Analgesia for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition prepares you to administer anesthesia with information on pre-anesthetic preparation of the patient, induction procedures, monitoring animals' vital signs during the anesthetic period, and postoperative care. Expert authors John A. Thomas, DVM, and Phillip Lerche, BVSc PhD, Dipl ACVA, also include discussions of actions and side effects of anesthetic agents, the physiology of respiration, heart rate and blood pressure, emergency response, anesthetic equipment, and specialized techniques.
.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New organization and completely updated techniques, drugs, and equipment keep you up-to-date on the latest advances in the field.
- 49 new procedures boxes, 20 anesthetic protocol boxes, and 5 case studies help you apply knowledge to real-life situations.
- Two new large animal chapters cover pain management and anesthetic techniques for equine and ruminant patients.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures and the full-color format make this text inviting and user-friendly.
- All new figures and 4-color art make the material easy to understand and visually appealing.
- New material in every chapter incorporates the expanding role of veterinary technician anesthetists, especially in referral practices, teaching institutions, and research.
- Chapter outlines and Technician Tips emphasize key information and highlight key terms in the glossary.
- Student resources on the Evolve website include a video animation that demonstrates the use and maintenance of different anesthesia machines.
- Comprehensive scope of coverage includes both large and small animals.
- A reading level and depth of information appropriate for the technical level.
- Easy-to-read, user-friendly format makes this a practical guide in the classroom or in practice.
- Objectives, key points, and review questions help reinforce learning.
- Focus on health and safety issues satisfies OSHA requirements.
- Step-by-step procedures boxes clarify the technician's role in anesthesia delivery.
"The numerous tips, references and advide provided in the book should allow student nurses to pass their anesthesiology exam with flying colours but make sure you don't store it too far away. Daily practice will provide you with reasons to dive into it!"
Veterniary Today, December 2010
By John Thomas, DVM, Assistant Professor, Veterinary Technology, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, OH and Phillip Lerche, BVSc, PhD, Dipl ACVA, Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH