Nursing Care Plans, 8th Edition
Diagnoses, Interventions, and Outcomes
Learn to think like a nurse with the leading nursing care planning referenceTable of Contents
New to This Edition
The most comprehensive nursing care planning book available, Nursing Care Plans, 7th Edition features more than 200 care plans covering the most common medical-surgical nursing diagnoses and clinical problems. As in past editions, authors Meg Gulanick and Judith Myers meticulously updated content to ensure it reflects the most current clinical practice and professional standards in nursing, while still retaining the easy-to-use, reader-friendly format that make this book so unique. Functioning as two books in one, it provides you with both a collection of 68 nursing diagnosis care plans to use as starting points for creating individualized care plans and a library of 143 disease-specific care plans for medical-surgical conditions most frequently encountered in nursing practice.
- 217 care plans --- more than in any other nursing care planning book.
- 70 nursing diagnosis care plans include the most common/important NANDA-I nursing diagnoses, providing the building blocks for you to create your own individualized care plans for your own patients.
- 147 disorders and health promotion care plans cover virtually every common medical-surgical condition, organized by body system.
- Prioritized care planning guidance organizes care plans from actual to risk diagnoses, from general to specific interventions, and from independent to collaborative interventions.
- Nursing diagnosis care plans format includes a definition and explanation of the diagnosis, related factors, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, related NOC outcomes and NIC interventions, ongoing assessment, therapeutic interventions, and education/continuity of care.
- Disorders care plans format includes synonyms for the disorder (for easier cross referencing), an explanation of the diagnosis, common related factors, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, NOC outcomes and NIC interventions, ongoing assessment, and therapeutic interventions.
- Icons differentiate independent and collaborative nursing interventions.
- Student resources on the Evolve companion website include 36 of the book’s care plans - 5 nursing diagnosis care plans and 31 disorders care plans.
- Updated content incorporates the latest evidence-based data and best practice guidelines to help you provide the highest quality nursing care.
- Revised and expanded rationales include explanations for nursing interventions to help you understand what the nurse does and why.
- Expanded and more specific outcome statements for each nursing diagnosis help you develop measurable patient outcomes.
- New content on patient safety and preventable complications addresses national initiatives and discusses the nurse's responsibility in preventing complications such as falls, pressure ulcers, infections, etc. QSEN competencies are integrated throughout.
- 11 new disorder care plans include:
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Peptic Ulcer
- Solid Organ Transplant
- Breast Reduction
- Pelvic Relaxation Disorder
- 6 new nursing diagnoses care plans include:
- Impaired Dentition
- Disturbed Energy Field
- Readiness for Enhanced Immunization
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post-Trauma Syndrome
- Relocation Stress Syndrome
By Meg Gulanick, PhD, APRN, FAAN, Professor, Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, Illinois and Judith L. Myers, RN, MSN, Assistant Professor of Nursing, Grand View University, Des Moines, Iowa