Virtual Clinical Excursions 3.0 for Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 5th Edition
Learn to apply classroom learning through work in a realistic virtual hospitalTable of Contents
New to This Edition
VIRTUAL CLINICAL EXCURSIONS is an innovative CD-ROM/workbook package that makes textbook content come alive and diminishes anxiety about entering the clinical setting. VCE helps bridge the gap between the classroom and the real world by introducing you to clinical settings and critical thinking before you actually start clinical rotations — making the transition from nursing student to caregiver a smoother process. In this virtual hospital setting, you will interact with a variety of patients and gain valuable experience with documentation, communication, prioritization, medication safety, critical thinking, patient education, and care planning.
- Online workbook includes a set of lessons to prepare and guide you through a variety of patient scenarios, which are all connected to your textbook.
- Physical examination interactions include unique images and assessment findings for each patient scenario.
- Patient chart provides quick access to vital information such as physician’s orders, laboratory reports, patient education, nursing admission, and more, offering a richly detailed portrait of the patient.
- Electronic patient record houses data from the patient’s entire hospital stay and offers the ability to record new data findings.
- Nurse-client interaction videos depict conversations and situations involving nurses, patients, family members, and hospital staff to help you discern between communications that are ideal and those that need improvement.
- Updated drug reference includes a comprehensive set of the latest drug monographs to help you make the best clinical judgments involving medication administration.
- Six unique new patients/cases feature new patient data in the Electronic Patient Record, Patient Charts, KARDEX, and Medication Administration Record.
- New flash-based technology makes the program easier to use and offers seamless navigation.
- A new Medication Room introduces you to a wide variety of drug storage areas, such as a Unit Dosage Cabinet, Automated Dispensing System, IV Storage, and a Refrigerator.
- A medication administration feature enables you to select, prepare, and administer medications.
- Over 50 common medication errors embedded within the software challenge you to think critically about safe medication practices and follow safe medication standards.
- A Medication Scorecard provides instant feedback on what medications you administered correctly and which medications you administered incorrectly.
- The Examination Report checklist tracks your performance on Baseline and Focused assessments.
- You can now leave the software program at any time and return later to pick up where you left off without losing any information.
- The workbook includes time icons that indicate how long it will take to complete a particular exercise.
- Icons for linked activities alert you when a particular workbook exercise is linked to another exercise and cannot be completed independently.
By Katherine M. Fortinash, MSN, APRN, BC, PMHCNS, Certified Clinical Specialist, Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing; Associate Faculty, Mt. San Jacinto College, Menifee, CA; Clinical Nurse Specialist and Educator, Sharp HealthCare, Mesa Vista Hospital, San Diego, CA and Patricia A. Holoday Worret, MSN, APRN, BC, PMHCNS, Certified Clinical Specialist, Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing; Professor, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA; Consultant, San Diego, CA