Communication in Nursing, 7th Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||
Go beyond theory and start to master the essential communication skills and techniques you’ll need throughout all areas of nursing practice. Communication in Nursing, 7th Edition uses a personal and empathetic approach, along with unique artistic features, to help you develop a deeper understanding of the importance of communication. Comprehensive, step-by-step guidelines teach you how to establish patient relationships, and new QSEN-specific exercises help you learn to connect more effectively with patients, co-workers, and managers for better clinical outcomes. Real-life clinical scenarios, chapter exercises, and a new writing tutorial also offer endless opportunities to hone your skills.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- QSEN-specific exercises developed by a leading expert highlight how safety and improved care can result from better communication.
- UNIQUE! Online writing tutorial on Evolve helps you review and improve your technical writing skills.
- Case studies on Evolve give you practice using proper communication skills in a variety of real-life case scenarios.
- The latest information on compassion fatigue, language use, client preconceived ideas about health care, transcultural issues, technology, and the demands of electronic medical record systems provide you with the most up-to-date and relevant information needed to excel in today’s nursing field.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight the outcomes and benefits of successful communication.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes provide a humorous, personal approach to communication theory and application.
- Reflections On… boxes give you a specific task to help you integrate chapter material into the broader scope of nursing practice.
- Exercises throughout the book help you master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
"Riley's book is an excellent book that provides a wide ranging coverage of the subjects that could be considered to be under the umbrella of communications. The pre-registration student would find this book especially helpful when studying those modules that have a communications flavour to them...These chapters mean that the book can prove helpful to the nurse at any point in their career providing timely reminders of the best strategies to use in order to facilitate efficient communications with clients...This book would probe most useful to the pre-registration student studying a communications module. However, the inclusion of chapters on real world situations can help to extend the appeal of this book."
Nursing Times, January 2013
By Julia Balzer Riley, RN, MN, AHN-BC, REACE, President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL