Maternity & Women's Health Care - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books.
With comprehensive coverage of maternal, newborn, and women's health nursing, Maternity & Women's Health Care, 10th Edition provides evidence-based coverage of everything you need to know about caring for women of childbearing age. It's the #1 maternity book in the market -- and now respected authors Dr. Deitra Leonard Lowdermilk, Dr, Shannon E. Perry, Kitty Cashion, and Kathryn R. Alden have improved readability and provided a more focused approach! Not only does this text emphasize childbearing issues and concerns, including care of the newborn, it addresses wellness promotion and management of common women's health problems. In describing the continuum of care, it integrates the importance of understanding family, culture, and community-based care. New to this edition is the most current information on care of the late preterm infant and the 2008 updated fetal monitoring standards from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
New to This Edition
- Content updates provide the most current practice guidelines, including expanded information on the late preterm infant and fetal heart rate pattern identification.
- New content on obesity provides the latest information on this increasingly common condition.
- Safety Alerts help in developing competencies related to safe nursing practice in conjunction with the QSEN initiative on quality and safety in nursing care.
- Updated Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight current research to improve patient outcomes.
- Updated NICHD fetal monitoring standards provide guidelines reflecting current practice, as recommended by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
- Video clips on the companion Evolve website reinforce key skills performed in the maternity setting.
- Audio Key Points on Evolve make it easy to review core content while on the go.
- Streamlined nursing process information is summarized in boxes, making it easier to identify information on major diseases and conditions.
- A logical organization builds understanding by presenting wellness content first, then complications.
- Critical Reasoning exercises offer real-life situations in which you can develop analytical skills and apply their knowledge.
- Teaching for Self-Management boxes offer a guide to communicating follow-up care to patients and their families.
- Signs of Potential Complications boxes help you recognize the signs and symptoms of complications and provide immediate interventions.
- Procedure boxes offer easy-to-use, step-by-step instructions for maternity skills and procedures.
- Emergency boxes may be used for quick reference in critical situations.
- Medication Guide boxes provide an important reference for common drugs and their interactions.
- Cultural Considerations boxes stress the importance of considering the beliefs and health practices of patients from various cultures when providing care.
- Family content emphasizes the importance of including family in the continuum of care.
- Nursing Care Plans include specific guidelines and rationales for interventions for delivering effective nursing care.
- Community Activity exercises introduce activities and nursing care in a variety of local settings.
- Student resources on the companion Evolve website include assessment and childbirth videos, animations, case studies, critical thinking exercises with answers, nursing skills, anatomy reviews, a care plan constructor, review questions, an audio glossary, and more.
By Deitra Leonard Lowdermilk, RNC, PhD, FAAN, Clinical Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, Nursing Education and Curriculum Consultant, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC, USA