Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient, 3rd Edition
Enter promotional code 05984 at checkout.
With detailed descriptions of orthopedic surgeries, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient, 3rd Edition provides current, evidence-based guidelines to designing effective rehabilitation strategies. Coverage of each condition includes an overview of the orthopedic patient's entire course of treatment from pre- to post-surgery. For each phase of rehabilitation, this book describes the postoperative timeline, the goals, potential complications and precautions, and appropriate therapeutic procedures. New to this edition are a full-color design and new chapters on disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete. Edited by Lisa Maxey and Jim Magnusson, and with chapters written by both surgeons and physical therapists, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient provides valuable insights into the use of physical therapy in the rehabilitation process.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New coverage of current orthopedic surgeries and rehabilitation includes topics such as disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete.
- New full-color design and illustrations visually reinforce the content.
- Updated Suggested Home Maintenance boxes in every chapter provide guidance for patients returning home.
- References linked to MEDLINE abstracts make it easy to access evidence-based information for better clinical decision-making.
- Comprehensive, evidence-based coverage provides an overview of the orthopedic patient's entire course of treatment from pre- to post-surgery, including a detailed look at the surgical procedures and therapy guidelines that can be used to design the appropriate rehabilitation programs.
- Case study vignettes with critical thinking questions help you develop critical reasoning skills.
- Indications and considerations for surgery describe the mechanics of the injury and the repair process so you can plan an effective rehabilitation program.
- Therapy guidelines cover each phase of rehabilitation with specifics as to the expected time span and goals for each phase.
- Evidence-based coverage includes the latest clinical research to support treatment decisions.
- Overview of soft tissue and bone healing considerations after surgery helps you understand the rationale behind the timelines for the various physical therapy guidelines.
- A Troubleshooting section in each chapter details potential pitfalls in the recovery from each procedure.
- Over 300 photos and line drawings depict concepts, procedures, and rehabilitation.
- Detailed tables break down therapy guidelines and treatment options for quick reference.
- Expert contributors include surgeons describing the indications and considerations for surgery as well as the surgery itself, and physical or occupational therapists discussing therapy guidelines.