Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 5th Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$61.07|
Take the stress out of learning mental health nursingTable of Contents
New to This Edition
Focusing on what psychiatric nurses actually do in everyday practice, this full-color text covers all of the most common disorders and treatments. A balanced nursing-medical approach includes a strong emphasis on the nursing process, DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria, and interdisciplinary interventions. This book offers an approach that is clear, straightforward, and holistic to boost confidence in managing clients and to help students prepare for success on the NCLEX® examination.
- UNIQUE! Balanced nursing-medical approach offers strong baseline coverage of the nursing process and interdisciplinary interventions and focuses on what psychiatric nurses actually do.
- Complete coverage of the nursing process features the six-step problem-solving method and how to put it into practice.
- DSM-IV-TR Criteria boxes list categories of mental disorders and the criteria for diagnosing them.
- Nursing care plans provide care guidelines for each plan and include a brief case study, followed by assessment, diagnosis, goal setting, interventions with rationales, and evaluation.
- UNIQUE! Clinical Alert boxes address issues critical to the safety or well-being of the client.
- Case studies depict effective nursing care strategies and promote critical thinking.
- Research for Evidence-Based Practice boxes discuss the implications of current research studies.
- Client and Family Teaching Guidelines boxes focus on the issues confronting families when a member suffers from mental illness.
- UNIQUE! Medication Key Facts boxes highlight the most common psychopharmacologic interventions along with safe and effective use.
- Nursing Assessment Questions boxes include questions that should be asked in the assessment of a particular disorder.
- Clinical Symptoms boxes help you apply content to the real world.
- Additional Treatment Modalities boxes summarize other modalities and interventions used in conjunction with nursing interventions in the treatment of a particular disorder.
- Chapter summaries conclude each chapter with the most significant ideas to remember.
- Review questions with answers in the appendix offer immediate reinforcement of chapter content and help you prepare for the NCLEX Examination.
- Glossary provides concise definitions of key terms.
- Objectives and key terms emphasize the most important concepts from each chapter.
- New Somatoform, Factitious, and Dissociative Disorders and Sleep Disorders chapters cover these increasingly diagnosed disorders and describe the nurse’s role in treatment.
- Medication Key Facts boxes summarize the most common psychopharmacologic interventions and discuss safe and effective use.
- Research for Evidence-Based Practice boxes discuss implications of current research studies.
- Nursing Outcomes Classification (NOC) and Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC) labels are identified for each nursing diagnosis in all nursing care plans.
- Review questions for the NCLEX examination reinforce the content in each chapter.
- A NEW companion CD includes:
- Interactive Exercises with memory match, quiz show, and hangman activities to ensure comprehension.
- Neurology Review with state-of-the-art, narrated animations.
- 150 review questions to prepare students for the NCLEX examination.
- Audio Glossary of 150 terms with definitions and pronunciations.
By Katherine M. Fortinash, MSN, APRN, BC, Certified Clinical Specialist, Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing; Associate Faculty, Mt. San Jacinto College, Menifee, CA; Clinical Nurse Specialist and Educator, Sharp HealthCare, Mesa Vista Hospital, San Diego, CA and Patricia A. Holoday Worret, MSN, APRN, BC, Certified Clinical Specialist, Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing; Professor, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA; Consultant, San Diego, CA