Health Careers Today, 5th Edition
Describing more than 45 health careers, Health Careers Today, 5th Edition offers a practical overview to help you make an informed decision in choosing a profession. Not only does it discuss the roles and responsibilities of various occupations, it provides a solid foundation in the skills needed for all health careers. Clear explanations of anatomy and physiology provide essential knowledge of health related to the human body, and show how this applies to different careers. A companion Evolve website includes skills videos, animations, quizzes, and flashcards. Written by experienced educator Judith Gerdin, this book reflects National Health Care Skills Standards.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Updated and expanded content covers the electronic medical record, HIPAA, examples of career ladders in various health professions, superbugs and MRSA, cultural diversity, autism, BMI and its relationship to obesity, infection control, basic methods of cleaning and sterilizing instruments, HOSA guidelines, and all NHCSS (National Health Care Skills Standards) required information.
- Bios and photographs feature working professionals in many health careers, adding personal stories that you can relate to.
- Brain bytes reinforce concepts and keep you engaged in the material.
- New photographs show workers in various health care settings.
- References to websites connect you to online resources and research.
- Full-page forms are located in the appendix, with printable versions available on the companion Evolve website for use in assignments.
- A clear, easy-to-read approach makes it easy to explore health career options.
- Over 45 health careers are discussed, including the requirements and roles and responsibilities of each.
- Full-color drawings and photographs illustrate concepts, techniques, and equipment.
- The National Health Care Skills Standards are incorporated, and the book's organization closely follows the standards.
- An Anatomy and Physiology unit covers all of the body systems, and applies A&P to various career settings.
- Skill Activities provide the opportunity to obtain hands-on experience.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter focus on key information.
- Key Terms with definitions are listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Core concepts are reinforced with more than 70 content boxes, skill boxes, review questions, and critical thinking questions.
- National Standard sections summarize the specific number and name of each national standard covered in that chapter, along with page references.
- Chapter summaries make it easy to review and identify key content.
- A comprehensive glossary includes all key terms and definitions for quick reference.
- Student resources on a companion Evolve website include fill-in-the-blank and drag-and-drop quizzes, flashcards, anatomy and physiology animations, skill videos, an audio glossary, and web links.
- A workbook corresponds to the chapters in the textbook, and features learning activities such as vocabulary practice exercises, medical abbreviation practice exercises, coloring/labeling activities, concept application exercises, laboratory exercises, critical thinking exercises, and Internet activities. Sold separately.