The Nurse, The Math, The Meds, 2nd Edition
Drug Calculations Using Dimensional Analysis
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$75.95|
Use the simplicity of the dimensional analysis method to minimize drug calculation errors! The Nurse, The Math, The Meds, 2nd Edition helps you overcome any math anxiety you may have by clearly explaining how to use the dimensional analysis method. It shows how to analyze practice problems, find the reasonable answer, and then evaluate it. But first, it lets you refresh your math skills with a review of essential math. Written by noted nursing educator Joyce Mulholland, this book offers over 1,400 questions for plenty of practice in mastering math concepts and learning dosage calculations.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- A red flag icon calls attention to high-risk medications.
- Updated trends in safer medication administration help in reducing sentinel events and adverse drug events.
- Practice problems are more clinically relevant and organized from simple to complex.
- Additional clinical relevance, communication, and cultural boxes help prevent errors by offering a variety of examples from clinical practice.
- Updated content includes:
- More realistic fraction and decimal problems
- Expanded Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) section with a typical order, common errors, and current guidelines to reduce errors
- Updated coverage of pediatric medication
- A comprehensive math review at the beginning of the book includes a self-assessment test to help you identify areas of strength and weakness.
- A consistent chapter format includes objectives, essential prior knowledge, equipment needed, estimated time to complete the chapter, key vocabulary, and more.
- Rapid Practice exercises follow each new topic with multiple practice problems, so you can apply concepts immediately.
- A full-color design includes a special margin section so you can work out practice problems on the spot.
- Mnemonics make memorization easier and save time in learning.
- Test tips enhance your comprehension and improve test-taking skills and comfort level.
- Red arrow alerts call attention to critical math concepts and patient safety theory.
- Clinical Relevance boxes help you apply medication-related concepts to practice.
- Unique! FAQ and Answers are derived from students' actual classroom questions, and are especially useful if you are studying outside of a classroom environment.
- Unique! Ask Yourself questions help in synthesizing information and reinforcing understanding.
- Unique! Communication boxes include sample nurse-patient and nurse-prescriber dialogues that illustrate clinical application of medication administration.
- Cultural boxes describe selected math notation and medication-related cultural practices.
- TJC and ISMP recommendations for abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols are used to reduce medication errors, increase patient safety, and ensure compliance with agency regulations.
- Online and print references provide opportunities for further research and study.
- Two chapter finals are included at the end of each chapter.
- Two comprehensive finals evaluate your understanding, one in NCLEX® exam-style multiple-choice format and the other following a traditional written format.
- Answer key in the back of the book provides step-by-step solutions to the Rapid Practice exercises, chapter finals, and comprehensive finals so you can pinpoint specific areas for further review.
By Joyce L. Mulholland, APRN, BC, MA, MS, Nursing Education Consultant, Tucson, AZ