Nursing Theorists and Their Work - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource, 7th Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books.
The most comprehensive of its kind, this classic resource in the field of nursing theory provides an in-depth look at 49 theorists of historical, international, and significant importance. Each chapter features a clear, consistent presentation of a key nursing philosophy or theory. Case studies and critical thinking activities help bridge the gap between theory and application.
New to This Edition
- A new chapter introduces the theorist Afaf Meleis and covers her Transition Theory that has helped shape the theoretical development of nursing.
- Points for further study at the end of each chapter direct you to assets available for additional information.
- Need to know information is highlighted in at-a-glance summary boxes throughout to help you quickly review key concepts.
- Personal quotes from the theorists help you gain insight and make each complex theory more memorable.
- Updated references include only published works to ensure accuracy and credibility.
- A case study at the end of each theorist chapter puts the theory into a larger perspective, helping you understand how the information can be applied to practice.
- A Major Concepts & Definitions box in each theorist chapter outlines and summarizes the theory's most significant ideas and clarifies content-specific vocabulary.
- Each theorist chapter concludes with an extensive bibliography outlining numerous primary and secondary sources of information ideal for research projects.
- Critical Thinking Activities at the end of each theorist chapter challenge you to process the theory presented and apply it to personal and hypothetical practice situations.
- Introductory chapters provide you with a strong foundation in the history and philosophy of science, logical reasoning, and the theory development process.
- Diagrams for theories help you visualize and better understand inherently abstract concepts.
- Each theorist chapter is written by a scholar specializing in that particular theorist's work - often an individual who has worked closely with the theorist.
- Most chapters have been reviewed and edited by the theorist for currency and accuracy, further validating the accounts set forth in the text.
- Theorist birth (and if applicable, death) dates help you place each individual into a time context.
By Martha Raile Alligood, PhD, RN, ANEF, Professor and Director, PhD program, College of Nursing, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, USA and Ann Marriner Tomey, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor Emeritus (Retired), College of Nursing, Health and Human Services, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN, USA