Wong's Essentials of Pediatric Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. The #1 pediatric nursing textbook on the market, this book is known for its accuracy, current research, and highly readable writing style. It provides a foundation in child development and health promotion, and covers specific health problems - organized by age groups and body systems, so you can individualize care at the appropriate level for each child. A streamlined approach, superior illustrations, and a full-color design make it easy to find and understand key nursing information.
New to This Edition
- New Pain Assessment and Management in Children chapter consolidates coverage of this subject for easy reference.
- Nursing care plans provide a model for planning patient care, including nursing diagnoses, patient/family goals, nursing interventions/rationales, expected outcomes, and newly included NIC and NOC classifications.
- Family-Centered Care boxes help you prepare families to cope with their child's care in special situations, providing information on patient teaching, home care, and incorporating the family in the child's care.
- Nursing process boxes provide streamlined, accessible information on major diseases and conditions.
- A family focus emphasizes the role and influence of the family in health and illness.
- A "wellness" emphasis includes age-specific information on health promotion and injury prevention relevant to specific age groups, and discusses play, safety, language, self-esteem, nutrition, dental health, sleep, exercise, and sexuality.
- Detailed presentations of pathophysiology in disorder sections provide a clear understanding of the impact of disease on normal physiologic functions.
- Critical thinking exercises help you apply your knowledge and clinical judgments to specific situations.
- Nursing Care Guidelines boxes provide clear, step-by-step instructions for performing specific skills or procedures.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes help you apply research and critical thought processes to support and guide the outcomes of nursing care.
- Atraumatic Care boxes provide guidance for administering nursing care with minimal pain or stress to the child, family, and nurse.
- Ethical case studies reflect complex patient care situations and illustrate proper consideration in care delivery.
- Community Focus boxes emphasize community issues and provide additional resources on caring for children outside the clinical setting.
- Emergency Treatment boxes provide quick reference in critical situations.
- Nursing Alerts provide critical information and Nursing Tips provide helpful hints.
- Cultural Awareness boxes highlight ways in which variations in beliefs and practices affect child care.
- Chapter Outlines and Learning Objectives guide your approach to learning.
- Key Points help you review and learn important concepts.
- Up-to-date references highlight research and focus your review of important content.
- Spanish-English translations in the appendix feature words and phrases commonly used in nurse-parent interactions.
- Related Topics and Additional Resources in each chapter refer you to related information inside the book and in ancillary materials.
- Free companion CD features NCLEX exam-style review questions, animations, critical thinking questions, case studies, modifiable nursing care plans, pediatric assessment video clips, illustrated pediatric skills, anatomy reviews, and more.
By Marilyn J. Hockenberry, PhD, RN-CS, PNP, FAAN, Director, Center for Research and Evidence-Based Practice; Nurse Scientist, Texas Children's Hospital; Director of Nurse Practitioners, Texas Children's Cancer Center; Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA; and David Wilson, MS, RNC, Faculty, Langston University School of Nursing; Staff, Saint Francis Hospital, Tulsa, OK, USA