Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 9th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. A leader in respiratory care education for more than 35 years, this comprehensive textbook lays a strong foundation for a successful career. You'll gain a thorough understanding of the role of respiratory therapists (RTs), a scientific basis for treatment, and clinical applications. In-depth discussions progress from the principles of respiratory care to applied anatomy and physiology, assessment, discussion of specific respiratory illnesses, basic therapy, acute and critical care, and preventive and long-term care. Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) and Therapist Driven Protocols (TDPs) in appropriate chapters familiarize you with patient care guidelines and decision trees as they are used in practice.
New to This Edition
- New History of Respiratory Care chapter describes the evolution and challenges of this profession.
- Updated content reflects changes in the field, with additions to the text including:
- More coverage of evidence-based care
- Information on HIPAA
- A discussion of computer applications in a health care setting
- An emphasis on how nutrition impacts the respiratory system
- The role of the respiratory therapist in disease management is discussed in the Cardiopulmonary Diseases section.
- A new appendix cross-references the NBRC examination matrices for the CRT and RRT to content in the book, making it easier to prepare for the NBRC exams.
- New editor Robert Kacmarek, a well-known figure in respiratory care, has joined Robert Wilkins and James Stoller.
- A full-color format makes the text easier to read and brings out key detail in the illustrations.
- Mini-Clinis provide short vignettes applying content in the text to actual patient care, asking you to think critically on problems you may encounter.
- Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) cover the steps of patient care with important information on indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, assessment of outcome, and monitoring.
- Therapist-Driven Protocols (TDPs) provide decision trees developed by hospitals, helping you to assess patients, initiate care, and evaluate outcomes.
- Rules of Thumb highlights rules, formulas, and key points important to clinical practice.
- Measurable Learning Objectives parallel the areas tested by the NBRC exam, helping you identify important information that goes beyond memorization and recall.
- Key Point summaries in bulleted format help you clearly identify key concepts covered in each chapter.
- A Workbook includes a wide range of activities such as NBRC-type multiple-choice questions, case studies, experiments, and hands-on activities, allowing you to apply the knowledge you've gained from the text.
By Robert L. Wilkins, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Chair and Professor, Department of Respiratory Care, School of Allied Health Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX; James K. Stoller, MD, MS, Professor of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine; Vice Chairman of Medicine, Executive Director, Leadership Development, and Head, Section of Respiratory Therapy, Department of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH; and Robert M. Kacmarek, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Professor of Anesthesiology, Harvard Medical School; Director, Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA