Mosby's Respiratory Care Equipment - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Enter promotional code 05984 at checkout.
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. The leading resource for nearly 25 years, this new edition thoroughly and systematically covers the entire spectrum of equipment, from the most basic to the most sophisticated. It explores the most current equipment while also retaining some of the older equipment either within the text or on the accompanying website. In addition to providing technical descriptions, the 7th edition of Mosby's Respiratory Care Equipment maintains a clinical focus with discussions of how to select modes, set parameters, monitor the equipment, and respond to alarms. Various respiratory therapy techniques, such as diagnostic sleep studies, are included as well. Features like the "how-to" focus of the mechanical ventilator discussion, Clinical Practical Guideline excerpts, Clinical Rounds boxes, and Internet resources set this book apart.
New to This Edition
- A new chapter on Cardiovascular Diagnostic Testing highlights areas such as cardiovascular monitoring, ECG, and hemodynamics, explaining equipment as well as the relevant physiology.
- The chapter on Infection Control is placed earlier in the textbook to better reflect the way most instructors teach the subject.
- Content on noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NIPPV) has been added to the chapter on Transport, Home Care, and Alternative Devices (Chapter 14).
- Coverage of bronchoscopy has been added to the chapter on Airway Management (Chapter 6) so readers can explore the specifics of this important assessment technique.
- More NBRC-type review questions have been added so that every chapter now contains at least 20 review questions reflecting the types of questions and amount of coverage on the board exams.
- Critical-thinking questions are included to further reflect the book's clinical focus.
- More Clinical Rounds (previously entitled Decision Making & Problem-Solving boxes) have been added, containing problems that may be encountered during actual use of equipment. Suggested answers are included in the appendices.
- Excerpts of Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) - statements of care developed by the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) - are included to show applications of the equipment to patient care by highlighting indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, assessment of outcome, and monitoring.
- More relevant historical information is provided in unique Historical Notes boxes that detail the history of respiratory care equipment.
- The unique clinical approach goes beyond a mere technical description of the various pieces of equipment to help readers identify equipment, understand how it works, and apply this information in clinical practice.
- Ventilators are organized by application area rather than by manufacturer, making the book even more clinically useful.
- The Physiology of Sleep chapter (Chapter 15) discusses polysomnography and the effect of sleep and sleep disorders on cardiopulmonary function.
- A unique, two-color design makes the book more user-friendly and emphasizes special features.
- Pedagogical features such as chapter outlines, introductions and summaries, learning objectives, and key terms are provided in each chapter to reinforce the material and help students identify important points.
- All key terms are listed in a glossary at the end of the book so readers can easily find definitions for new terms presented in the text.
By J. M. Cairo, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology, and Anesthesiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA; and Susan P. Pilbeam, MS, RRT, FAARC, Respiratory Care Educational Consultant, St. Augustine, FL