Basic Geriatric Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. Part of the popular LPN threads series, Basic GERIATRIC NURSING, 4th Edition presents the theories and concepts of aging, the physiologic and psychosocial changes and problems associated with the process, and appropriate nursing interventions. With its easy-to-read, clear writing style, this text provides the right depth and breadth of geriatrics content for LPN/LVNs.
New to This Edition
- Full-color art, photographs, and design create a vivid, dynamic background for the narrative.
- Improved format with more bulleted lists and smaller chunks of content make content even easier to understand and retain.
- Case Studies and related Questions and Activities in the Student Activities section at the back of the book are detailed, in-depth clinical scenarios and related questions.
- Content on Home Health for both patients and caregivers includes essential information for LPN/LVNs caring for older adults in the home setting.
- Content on Alzheimer's disease help you recognize the many manifestations of the disease in each of its stages and provide safe, appropriate care.
- Increased content on therapeutic communication acknowledges generational and cultural differences among patients and caregivers and helps you learn how to communicate effectively with older adults in any stage of health or illness.
- Increased cultural content on the impact of aging in other cultures throughout help you become more culturally sensitive when providing nursing care.
- UNIQUE! Section on Baby Boomers and the impact of their aging on health care addresses key information on the largest age group and their health care needs.
- MyPyramid illustrates the 2005 revised guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and allows individualization of nutritional guidelines, helping you to easily modify nutritional needs for older adults.
- UNIQUE! Evidence-based research to support gerontologic nursing care.
- Updated Lab Values for Older Adults provide the necessary statistics for evaluating assessment data and providing appropriate nursing care.
- Evolve Student Resources now include audio pronunciations, animations, and video assessment.
- UNIQUE! Nursing Care Plans follow the nursing process and include Critical Thinking Questions at the end of each plan.
- UNIQUE! Key Points at the end of chapters summarize chapter highlights.
- Clear, concise writing throughout, makes the content easily understandable and consistent.
- Nursing Process sections in each appropriate chapter provides a strong framework for the discussion of the nursing care of the elderly patient as related to specific disorders.
- UNIQUE! Nursing Interventions grouped according to health care setting (e.g. acute care, extended care, home care) allow you to see how care may be adapted and/or modified depending on the setting.
- UNIQUE! Patient Teaching boxes instruct and inform both elderly patients and their caregivers about health promotion, disease prevention, and age-specific interventions.
- UNIQUE! Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes for geriatric patients provide valuable information on pain management through nonpharmocologic therapies.
- Clinical Situations boxes include patient scenarios in the clinical setting, preparing you for patient care in the real world.
- UNIQUE! Delegation Considerations boxes address such topics as restraints, elder abuse, and end-of-life care as related to responsibilities of nursing assistants and other health care workers who are supervised by LPN/LVNs.
- UNIQUE! Critical Thinking boxes stress important content-related points and pose questions designed to stimulate further discussion.
- Cultural Considerations boxes provide advice on culturally diverse patient care of older adults.
- Includes content on ethical and legal issues in end-of-life care (including separate chapter that addresses pain management and palliative care in both the institutional and home settings).
- UNIQUE! Perforated Student Activities workbook at the back of the book includes a variety of matching, multiple-choice, study questions, case studies with critical thinking questions, and Internet activities.
By Gloria Hoffman Wold, RN, BSN, MS, Nursing Instructor, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Milwaukee, WI