Adult Health Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Adult Health Nursing provides all of the medical-surgical and basic anatomy and physiology content LPN/LVN students need to know as they prepare for practice. Designed to be used in conjunction with Foundations on Nursing, by the same author team, together these two full-color texts provide complete coverage of all of the content needed in an LPN/LVN curriculum.
New to This Edition
- New Companion CD, bound in every text, includes an audio glossary, 170 NCLEX® exam-style multiple-choice and alternate item review questions, 15 animations, 15 video clips, 15 audio clips, a fluids & electrolytes module, Body Spectrum - an electronic anatomy coloring book, and Spanish-English phrases.
- Unique Health Promotion Considerations boxes, a LPN thread, highlights information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Safety Considerations boxes, a LPN thread, highlights safety issues in a variety of settings to stress the importance of maintaining safety to protect patients, families, health care providers, and the public from the accidental spread of diseases.
- New content added on blood tests for congestive heart failure (BNP), treatment modalities in the chapter on Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS, new diabetes medications, revised hepatitis classifications, sacroneuro stimulators for urinary incontinence, and more.
- Two new appendices include JCAHO Lists of Dangerous Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols; and Laboratory Reference Values.
- Overview of Anatomy and Physiology begins all body systems chapters and Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter provides a clear, basic understanding of the A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- Objectives are separated into Anatomy & Physiology and Medical-Surgical categories.
- Assessment is separated into Subjective and Objective Data.
- Nursing Process is applied to the discussion of disorders and appears in a summary form at the end of each chapter.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and include Critical Thinking Questions at the end of each care plan.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- Skills are presented in a step-by-step format with clearly defined nursing actions and rationales.
- Clinical Pathways are included to reflect collaborative care.
- Patient Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Cultural and Ethnic Considerations boxes include a variety of cultural scenarios that nurses may face when providing health care.
- Older Adult Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Unique Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes, in nearly every chapter, provide a breakdown of specific therapies, along with precautions and possible side effects.
- Unique Therapeutic Dialogue boxes illustrates communication strategies through real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Unique Medication Tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
By Barbara Lauritsen Christensen, MS, RN, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE; and Elaine Oden Kockrow, MS, RN, Formerly, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE