Thelan's Critical Care Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. This classic resource for critical care nursing is now a full-color text that provides a thorough examination of all the important aspects of critical care nursing with more appealing illustrations and design elements. Organized in ten units around alterations in body systems, this text's depth and scope will appeal to both novice and expert, while instructors praise its comprehensiveness and depend on its clinical relevance to inform their teaching and practice.
New to This Edition
- Full-color design and illustrations visually enhance the text.
- Evidence-Based Collaborative Practice feature highlights important research based articles on important topics like diabetic ketoacidosis, coronary artery disease and stable angina, and severe sepsis to help students understand the clinical significance of the problem.
- Patient Safety Alert feature highlights any safety issue for the learner that is specific and related to the chapter discussion as well as prepares the learner for important clinical situations.
- Collaborative Management boxes focus on the aspects of multidisciplinary care in the management of patients in the critical care setting. These are found in the nursing management sections, where appropriate, and are a numbered box.
- Pulmonary Disorders chapter now covers SARS.
- Neurologic Alterations chapters are restructured to three chapters in the unit.
- Organ Donation and Transplantation chapter now has important information on organ donation and procurement process.
- Special Feature list located in the inside front and back covers provide a quick reference for finding this information.
- Clinical Applications promote student learning and critical thinking by illustrating the clinical course of a patient experiencing the history, clinical manifestations, treatment, and outcomes discussed.
- Data Collection feature incorporates information that should be included as part of the patient's history.
- Nursing Diagnoses feature fosters critical thinking and decision making in a boxed "menu" of nursing diagnoses, complete with specific etiologic or related factors.
- Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC) feature lists the important nursing actions for a variety of nursing interventions that would be commonly incorporated in the management of a critically ill patient requiring a specific therapeutic management.
- Patient Education feature list the special topics that should be taught to the patient and family to prepare them for discharge.
- Pharmacologic Management Tables outline the common medications, along with any special considerations, used in treatment of the different disorders presented in the text.
By Linda D. Urden, DNSc, RN, CNA-BC, FAAN, Executive Director, Nursing Quality, Education & Research, Palomar Pomerado Health, Escondido, CA; Clinical Professor, Coordinator, Executive Nurse Leader Tract, University of San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA; Kathleen M. Stacy, MS, RN, CNS, CCRN, Nurse Manager/Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist, Intermediate Care Unit, Palomar Medical Center, Escondido, CA; Adjunct Faculty Member, School of Nursing, College of Health and Human Services, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA; and Mary E. Lough, RN, MS, CNS, CCRN, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Medical/Surgical/Trauma ICU, Stanford University Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, CA; Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Physciological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA