Pathophysiology - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. Well-known for its authoritative and comprehensive coverage, complete treatment of pediatric pathophysiology, and the most extensive illustration program in its field, the 5th edition of this classic book has been extensively revised and updated. Part One presents the general principles of pathophysiology and discusses the influence of the environment and the role of genetics in the development of disease. Part Two, organized by body system, examines normal anatomy and physiology, alterations of function in adults, and alterations of function in children.
New to This Edition
- More than 90 "What's New?" boxes present the most current research available.
- Includes approximately 310 new full-color illustrations.
- A new companion CD-ROM with over 750 review questions and answers and 20 animations.
- Now includes a comprehensive glossary of approximately 1,200 terms to help students with the often difficult terminology related to pathophysiology.
- Infection content is presented in a separate chapter to better organize content on mechanisms of self-defense.
- Extensive revisions and updates of every chapter, particularly: inflammation and immunity, stress, cancer, pain, the reproductive system, and urinary and renal systems alterations.
- Comprehensive coverage provides unparalleled discussion of disease processes.
- Extensive full-color art program illustrates disease processes and clinical manifestations of diseases.
- Life span content includes ten separate chapters for the pediatric content and special headings for aging content within the structures and functions chapters.
- "What's New?" boxes highlight the most current research and findings.
- "Nutrition and Disease" boxes show evidenced-based links between concepts of health promotion and disease.
- Algorithms throughout the text illustrate the sequential progression of disease processes.
- Detailed chapter outlines with page numbers provide easy access to content and overview of topics.
- Chapter introductions provide a rationale for learning the content about to be presented.
- Consistent presentation of each disease includes epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
- Key terms are highlighted in each chapter and listed with page numbers for easy reference and chapter review.
- Chapter summaries provide concise synopses of key points and serve as a built-in content review.
- An "Introduction to Pathophysiology" provides an entrance to the study of disease and defines basic terms.
By Kathryn L. McCance, RN, PhD, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT; and Sue E. Huether, RN, PhD, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT