Maternity Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. Maternity Nursing focuses on the care of women during the childbearing years. Designed to meet the needs of today's students, it addresses the fundamentals of maternity nursing with a clear, readable writing style and concise, focused content presentation. Integrating the importance of understanding family, culture, and health promotion into the continuum of care, it also includes a strategic integration of community-based care to emphasize that care can take place wherever the woman may be. It also addresses wellness promotion and the management of women's common health problems. The companion CD comes with useful study tools, including video and animation segments and an English/Spanish audio glossary with pronunciations.
New to This Edition
- Includes Evidence-Based Practice as summarized in the Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth Database, which is a collection of research findings that confirm effective practices or identify practices that have unknown, ineffective, or harmful effects.
- The number of English/Spanish Guidelines boxes has been expanded throughout the text and additional translations are included for common responses.
- Includes additional content in Medication Guides that focuses on interactions with other therapies.
- Incorporates Community Activity exercises throughout to illustrate nursing care in a variety of settings.
- The integration of Legal Tips has been expanded throughout the text to include appropriate delegation considerations.
- Provides consistent format for Critical Thinking Exercises and include answer guidelines in the back of the book.
- Patient Instructions for Self-Care and Home Care boxes emphasize guidelines for the patient to practice self-care and transfer information from the hospital to the home.
- Medication Guides provide information about the most current drugs.
- Family content is first introduced in the second chapter and then incorporated in the pregnancy, labor and birth, postpartum, and newborn chapters to stress the importance of including the family in the continuum of care.
- Culture content is integrated throughout to emphasize the importance of assessing for and understanding cultural variations in providing care.
- Health promotion and prevention is integrated throughout to maintain a focus on wellness as an integral part of today's maternity nursing care.
- Women's Health content is up-front to provide a thorough understanding of health promotion and prevention, common health concerns, and care of women throughout the childbearing years.
- Care of the childbearing adolescent is integrated throughout to provide important age-related considerations within each corresponding content area.
- English/Spanish Guidelines boxes provide the student with a handy reference for communicating with and teaching patients and families.
- Nurse Alert boxes highlight critical information for the nurse.
By Deitra Leonard Lowdermilk, RNC, PhD, FAAN, Clinical Professor, School of Nursing, Nursing Education and Curriculum Consultant, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC, USA; and Shannon E. Perry, RN, CNS, PhD, FAAN, Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA, USA