Wong's Nursing Care of Infants and Children - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. Long relied on as the industry's most comprehensive, authoritative source for information on the care of pediatric patients, this respected text presents a wealth of nursing knowledge in vividly illustrated, easy-to-read chapters. Current, evidence-based practice is reflected throughout, from its emphasis on wellness to its use of the nursing process and nursing care plans. Now even more user-friendly and inviting, the updated, full-color layout and improved readability guide readers every step of the way. No other book on the subject offers more expert, practical, relevant coverage than Wong's Nursing Care of Infants & Children, 8th Edition.
New to This Edition
- Unique Evidence-Based Practice boxes draw attention to application of both research and critical thought processes to support and guide the outcomes of nursing care.
- Unique Ethics Case Studies reflect the complex patient care situations nurses face in clinical practice and illustrate considerations for proper care delivery.
- A new chapter on pain assessment and management in children draws together a wealth of information into one chapter for comprehensive coverage and easy reference.
- Streamlined nursing process information is presented in boxes to help readers easily locate information on major diseases and conditions.
- Updated immunization information reflects current practice.
- A new appendix of Spanish translations contains words and phrases commonly used in nurse-parent interactions.
- A focus on the family throughout emphasizes the role and influence of the family in health and illness.
- Disorder sections provide a detailed presentation of pathophysiology to foster a clear understanding of the impact of disease on normal physiologic functions.
- Content provides a holistic view of the child and family by integrating aspects of wellness and health such as play, safety, language, self-esteem, nutrition, dental health, sleep, exercise, and sexuality into the appropriate age chapters.
- Nursing care plans incorporate patient- and family-centered goals, include rationales for nursing interventions, and contain NIC and NOC outcomes and interventions where appropriate.
- Helpful boxes throughout the text draw the reader's attention to relevant topics:
- Guidelines boxes provide step-by-step instructions on performing specific skills and procedures.
- Unique Emergency Treatment boxes serve as quick reference for critical situations.
- Community Focus boxes provide additional resources and guidance on caring for children outside the clinical setting.
- Unique Cultural Awareness boxes highlight ways in which variations in beliefs and practices affect child care.
- Unique Atraumatic Care boxes provide guidance for administering nursing care with minimal pain or stress to the child, family, and nurse.
- Unique Family Home Care boxes highlight important information to better prepare families to cope with their child's care in special situations.
- Unique critical thinking exercises challenge readers to make clinical judgments and apply knowledge to specific situations using their analytical skills.
- Nursing Alerts and Nursing Tips are highlighted throughout the text to provide critical information or helpful hints.
- Unique resources including phone numbers, fax numbers, and Internet sites are provided for students, children, and families.
- CD-ROM packaged with the book features NCLEX® review questions, pediatric assessment video clips, animations, critical thinking questions, case studies, assessment tools, and more!
By Marilyn J. Hockenberry, PhD, RN-CS, PNP, FAAN, Director, Center for Clinical Research; Nurse Scientist, Texas Children's Hospital; Director of Nurse Practitioners, Texas Children's Cancer Center; Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA; and David Wilson, MS, RNC, Faculty, Langston University School of Nursing; Staff Nurse, Children's Hospital Urgent Care Center, Saint Francis Hospital, Tulsa, OK, USA