General Medical Conditions in the Athlete - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. This new educational and clinical reference provides a comprehensive discussion of general medical conditions and associated pathologies confronting athletes, coaches, and athletic trainers of all levels. Featuring NATA Educational Competencies, it covers evaluation techniques and equipment, pharmacological principles, complete coverage of all body systems and conditions, and special populations. Red flags for serious or life-threatening conditions are highlighted throughout, as well as implications for practice and participation in sports and competition. An accompanying DVD provides 45 minutes of video displaying narrated procedures, animations of important concepts, and self-assessment exercises designed to reinforce the skills and information presented in each chapter of the book.
- Hundreds of illustrations detail anatomy, physiology, evaluation, pathology, and treatment.
- Vivid, full-color pathology photos in an 8-page insert, as well as photos included throughout the book, help readers visualize and compare confirmed diagnoses for signs, symptoms, and assessment.
- Pharmacological content provides a comprehensive overview of medical treatment and associated outcomes while also pointing out possible adverse effects.
- Learning objectives and key points, as well as a wide range of tables and boxes, a full glossary, and appendices help the reader extract and pinpoint information quickly.
- Red flags integrated within each chapter highlight critical information for safe and effective patient care.
- Consistent format for presentation of pathological conditions includes a brief description of the condition, signs and symptoms, referral and diagnostic tests, differential diagnosis, treatment, lifespan considerations, and prognosis.
- NATA Educational Competencies are included in the text to reinforce professional competencies for both students and practitioners.
- Content on mental health and special populations provides a basis for understanding and relating to difficulties faced by the growing number of athletes and sports competitors.
By Micki Cuppett, EdD, ATC, Director, Athletic Training Education, Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL; and Katie Walsh, EdD, ATC, Associate Professor, Director of Athletic Training Education Programs, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC