Expert Consult: Online and Print
As a palliative medicine physician, you struggle every day to make your patients as comfortable as possible in the face of physically and psychologically devastating circumstances. This new reference equips you with all of today's best international approaches for meeting these complex and multifaceted challenges. In print and online, it brings you the world's most comprehensive, state-of-the-art coverage of your field. You'll find the answers to the most difficult questions you face every day...so you can provide every patient with the relief they need.
- Equips you to provide today's most effective palliation for terminal malignant diseases • end-stage renal, cardiovascular, respiratory, and liver disorders • progressive neurological conditions • and HIV/AIDS.
- Covers your complete range of clinical challenges with in-depth discussions of patient evaluation and outcome assessment • ethical issues • communication • cultural and psychosocial issues • research in palliative medicine • principles of drug use • symptom control • nutrition • disease-modifying palliation • rehabilitation • and special interventions.
- Helps you implement unparalleled expertise and global best practices with advice from a matchless international author team.
- Provides in-depth guidance on meeting the specific needs of pediatric and geriatric patients.
- Assists you in skillfully navigating professional issues in palliative medicine such as education and training • administration • and the role of allied health professionals.
- Includes just enough pathophysiology so you can understand the "whys" of effective decision making, as well as the "how tos."
- Offers a user-friendly, full-color layout for ease of reference, including color-coded topic areas, mini chapter outlines, decision trees, and treatment algorithms.
- Comes with access to the complete contents of the book online, for convenient, rapid consultation from any computer.
"This a one stop shop that seems to encompass almost everything you need to know, to help your everyday practice in pallative medicine...The coverage of topics is excellent and there are sections on subject areas, I had never thought would be included...All in all, this is an outstanding book and if you have a strong interest in this field as a health professional then this is a must have."
Univadis Review, October 2011
By T. Declan Walsh, MD, Harry R. Horvitz Chair in Palliative Medicine; Director, The Harry R. Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine; Director, Home Care Services, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH; Augusto T. Caraceni, MD, Director "Virgilio Floriani" Hospice Unit, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy; Robin Fainsinger, MD, Director, Division of Palliative Care Medicine, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada; Kathleen M. Foley, MD, Professor of Neurology, Neuroscience and Clinical Pharmacology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University; Attending Neurologist, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; Paul Glare, MBBS, MM, FRACP, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Sydney; Head, Palliative Care, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Australia; Cynthia Goh, MD, Head, Department of Palliative Medicine, National Cancer Centre, Singapore; Mari Lloyd-Williams, MD, FRCP, MRCGP, Professor, Academic Palliative and Supportive Care Studies Group, University of Liverpool; Professor, Liverpool PCT and Royal Liverpool Hospital, United Kingdom; Juan Nunez Olarte, MD, Head, Palliative Care Unit, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain; and Lukas Radbruch, MD, Chair of Palliative Medicine, Aachen University, Aachen, Germany