Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team, 4th Edition
Maintain safety and infection control in the dental office with Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team, Fourth Edition. This practical and comprehensive resource covers the basic concepts of infectious disease and infection control, including step-by-step descriptions of specific procedures and supplies and equipment needed for disease prevention. The Fourth Edition features new chapters on the latest topics impacting office safety and the most current regulatory recommendations for protection of dental patients and dental workers. No matter what your role on the dental team, this text will help you implement infection control in everyday practice.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- An account of the first reported patient-to-patient spread of the hepatitis B virus in a dental office
- A detailed description of the three types of steam sterilizers including the newest type B office model vacuum sterilizer
- Information on the wipe-discard-wipe approach to surface disinfection
- NEW chapter on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) helps you understand OSHA standards and know how to respond in the event of an inspection.
- Two new tables on office safety management: Measure the Effectiveness of an Infection Control Program and Examples of What to Evaluate in a Dental Office Infection Control Evaluation Program
- NEW chapter on medical tourism looks at the practice of traveling internationally to obtain health care
- NEW chapter on greener infection control addresses the impact that infection control procedures can have on the environment and provides suggestions for developing a more eco-friendly program.
- Addition of Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis In Health-Care Settings, 2005, Dental-Care Settings Excerpt
- A new accompanying EVOLVE site provides a variety of learning resources, including answers for the Review Questions found at the end of each chapter and a printable version of the Exposure Incident Report.
- Follows dental curricula requirements for infection control
- Subject matter is organized logically, making it easier to successfully comprehend the material.
- Tables are used throughout the text to highlight similarities and differences among related topics; boxes draw your attention to the information you need to remember most.
- Line drawings and photos show the latest equipment, supplies, and procedures.
- Selected readings at the end of each chapter provide sources of further information on the topics discussed.
- The Glossary defines all key terms in one convenient place.
- The Resource List includes organizations, federal agencies, and website addresses to help you stay current on rapidly changing topics.
"Each generic topic is discussed logically and in detail, supplemented with useful and clear summary tables and flow charts...This book can be recommended as a reference book for providing the dental team with the knowledge, understanding and rationale of the broad range of topics that need to be considered for effective infection control measures."
Dental Update, January/February 2010
"I really like the layout of this book. The title page of each chapter outlines what is contained in the chapter (which allows you to dip into specific topics), and also details the learning objectives. At the start of each chapter there is also a box containing key terms, which are all contained in the glossary at the back of the book.This feature alone is very useful. At the end of each chapter there are review questions and the answers for these questions can be found on an accompanying website. Between reading the book and answering the review questions I think I have covered my 30 hours of non-verifiable CPD for this year."
Team In Practice, July 2011
By Chris H. Miller, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN; and Charles John Palenik, MS, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN