Sheehy's Emergency Nursing, 6th Edition
Principles and Practice
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Written by emergency nurses for emergency nurses, this comprehensive, evidence-based resource covers the issues and procedures that are often unique to the emergency department. New developments and changes in clinical practice are incorporated throughout. The user-friendly format features more than 350 high-quality illustrations and 150 tables that highlight essential concepts and offer quick access to vital information. Key coverage includes clinical fundamentals, treatment for trauma and medical-surgical emergencies, the foundations of emergency nursing practice, and special populations.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Five new chapters bring you the most reliable, up-to-date information on these key topics:
- Management of the Critical Care Patient in the Emergency Department
- Family Presence During Resuscitation
- Forensic Nursing
- Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Agents of Mass Destruction
- Influenza: Seasonal, Avian, and Pandemic
- Expanded coverage of shock and sepsis provides essential information on pathophysiology and diagnosis, with valuable guidelines for managing these patients.
- A detailed discussion of various types of triage systems and triage acuity ratings examines valid and reliable methods for differentiating between patients who require immediate treatment and those who can wait.
- Additional coverage of behavioral health emergencies includes new information on agitation, substance abuse, and suicide prevention.
- 58 contributors offer valuable insights from a broad range of clinical positions in rural, suburban, and urban areas.
- High-quality radiographs and other diagnostic images help you learn to identify common conditions — especially head trauma, fractures, and dislocations.
- Logically organized, chapters are grouped into six sections for quick access to important content: Foundations of Emergency Nursing, Professional Practice, Clinical Foundations of Emergency Nursing, Major Trauma Emergencies, Medical and Surgical Emergencies, and Special Patient Populations.
- Tables and boxes highlight and summarize critical information for at-a-glance reference.
- A separate unit on special patient populations covers topics such as child abuse, elder abuse, intimate partner violence, sexual assault, substance abuse and behavioral/pediatric/obstetrical emergencies.
- Priority nursing diagnoses are highlighted in a quick-reference appendix to help you focus on the most serious problems.