Anesthesia and Analgesia for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$65.95|
This guide to the principles of anesthesia administration in animals combines user-friendly coverage of essential information with an outstanding illustration program and improved readability. Anesthesia and Analgesia for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition prepares you to administer anesthesia with information on pre-anesthetic preparation of the patient, induction procedures, monitoring animals’ vital signs during the anesthetic period, and postoperative care. Expert authors John A. Thomas, DVM, and Phillip Lerche, BVSc PhD, Dipl ACVA, also include discussions of actions and side effects of anesthetic agents, the physiology of respiration, heart rate and blood pressure, emergency response, anesthetic equipment, and specialized techniques.
.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New organization and completely updated techniques, drugs, and equipment keep you up-to-date on the latest advances in the field.
- 49 new procedures boxes, 20 anesthetic protocol boxes, and 5 case studies help you apply knowledge to real-life situations.
- Two new large animal chapters cover pain management and anesthetic techniques for equine and ruminant patients.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures and the full-color format make this text inviting and user-friendly.
- All new figures and 4-color art make the material easy to understand and visually appealing.
- New material in every chapter incorporates the expanding role of veterinary technician anesthetists, especially in referral practices, teaching institutions, and research.
- Chapter outlines and Technician Tips emphasize key information and highlight key terms in the glossary.
- Student resources on the Evolve website include a video animation that demonstrates the use and maintenance of different anesthesia machines.
- Comprehensive scope of coverage includes both large and small animals.
- A reading level and depth of information appropriate for the technical level.
- Easy-to-read, user-friendly format makes this a practical guide in the classroom or in practice.
- Objectives, key points, and review questions help reinforce learning.
- Focus on health and safety issues satisfies OSHA requirements.
- Step-by-step procedures boxes clarify the technician's role in anesthesia delivery.
"The numerous tips, references and advide provided in the book should allow student nurses to pass their anesthesiology exam with flying colours but make sure you don't store it too far away. Daily practice will provide you with reasons to dive into it!"
Veterniary Today, December 2010
'This is the fourth edition of this book. Topics such as application of time contraints, physiology of oxygen transport and interpretation of the capnogram are clearly explained with the use of examples, making their inclusion relevant and appropriate. Additionally, many of the figures are available to download for free following regestration at the publisher's website. Throughout the text, a recurring theme is the use of guidelines for when to seek advice from the supervising veterinarian, the importance of communication skills, documentation of information and problem solving. This approach emphasises a team approach, while acting as a reminder that ultimate patient responsibility lies with the veterinarian.
In summary, this text can be recommended as an extremely useful addition to a nurse's/technician's personal or practice library. The clarity of explanation and breadth of topics also lend it well as a refresher for practicing veterinarians.'
JSAP, June 2012
By John Thomas, DVM, Assistant Professor, Veterinary Technology, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, OH and Phillip Lerche, BVSc, PhD, Dipl ACVA, Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH