Medical Microbiology, 6th Edition
with STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
The new edition of this popular text presents microbiology in a succinct, easy-to-use, and engaging manner. Clear discussions explain how microbes cause disease in humans, and review the updated vaccines and new antibiotics currently available to treat these diseases. Expert coverage of basic principles, the immune response, laboratory diagnosis, bacteriology, virology, mycology, and parasitology ensures that you'll understand all the facts vital to the practice of medicine today. A revised artwork program illustrates the appearance of disease, simplifying complex information, while text boxes and additional summary tables emphasize essential concepts and learning issues for more efficient exam review. Online access to Student Consultwhere you'll find the complete contents of the book, fully searchable...Integration Links to bonus content in other Student Consult titles...updated features for both students and instructors...and much morefurther enhances your study and exponentially boosts your reference power.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Features revised artwork—more than 635 brilliant images, nearly all in full color—that offers a more consistent and modern approach to the study of medical microbiology.
- Provides more clinical photographs throughout that help you better understand the clinical applications of microbiology.
- Offers expanded use of summary boxes for bacteria throughout all organism chapters to further enhance your review and learning.
- Includes enhanced Student Consult features including self-assessment questions, clinical cases, animations showing the actions of various important toxins, and a PowerPoint presentation with supplemental images of organisms and stains.
- Focuses on why the biologic properties of organisms are important to disease in humans, equipping you with a practical understanding of microbiology.
- Examines etiology, epidemiology, host defenses, identification, diagnosis, prevention, and control for each microbe in consistently organized chapters, enabling you to find the information you need fast.
- Features summary tables and text boxes that emphasize essential concepts and learning issues, enabling you to make your exam review more efficient.
- Correlates basic science with clinical practice through review questions at the end of each chapter to help you understand the clinical relevance of the organisms examined.
- Uses clinical cases from literature reports to illustrate the epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of infectious diseases.
"As someone who has used this book in the past, I know it is excellent for teaching medical students. It also is reasonably priced for students who are dealing with the high cost of medical education. The most valuable features are the excellent pictures and figures that enhance the understanding of complex issues. Each chapter is followed by a few thought-provoking questions that can be used during teaching to encourage deeper understanding of the material.
Although written for medical students in the first years of training, the book also is very useful for students in advanced training such as residency or fellowships." - Rebecca T. Horvat, PhD, D(ABMM)(University of Kansas Medical Center), from Doody's Reviews
By Patrick R. Murray, PhD, Chief, Microbiology Service, Department of Laboratory Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD; Ken S. Rosenthal, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH; and Michael A. Pfaller, MD, Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA