The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns and Stretching
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
With more than 1,000 vibrant, full-color illustrations and over 4 hours of detailed video demonstrations, THE MUSCLE AND BONE PALPATION MANUAL is the most visually engaging way to help you master and successfully apply palpation techniques in massage therapy. This innovative text uses unique, richly detailed photographic illustrations of muscles as they appear under the skin to give you a thorough understanding of effective palpation. This comprehensive guide provides unparalleled preparation for professional success.Table of Contents
- Full-color musculoskeletal overlays depict muscles and bones exactly as they appear when palpated to help you locate tissues and landmarks with confidence.
- Comprehensive palpation coverage helps you easily identify muscle names, attachments, actions, palpation steps, and more.
- Video demonstrations on two companion DVDs demonstrate and reinforce correct muscle palpation.
- Joseph Muscolino’s popular, concise writing style makes the science of palpation clear and accessible, encouraging critical thinking skills.
- Trigger points and referral patterns included for each muscle provide convenient access to guidelines for additional client assessment and treatment.
- Massage-specific treatment options guide you from palpation and assessment to practical treatment application.
- Stretching protocols and illustrations broaden your treatment capabilities.
- Comprehensive Body Mechanics chapter details 10 guidelines to help maximize efficiency during practice.
- A massage stroke atlas with information on draping techniques, massage strokes, and fundamental characteristics of touch helps you efficiently treat clients.
- Detailed explanations and full color drawings for bone and bony landmark palpation provide a comprehensive resource for bone palpation.
Dana J Lawrence, DC, MMedEd (Palmer College of Chiropractic)
This book presents a comprehensive approach to muscle palpation and human muscular anatomy, providing an overview of stretching as well as a thorough grounding in palpatory awareness of human muscles. It is amply illustrated and is complemented by a DVD.
It is designed to fill a need in the training of students of massage therapy. It focuses attention on human muscles, their anatomy, and the most effective way in which each muscle should be palpated. There is an additional emphasis on stretching and on trigger points. A book like this is needed in the discipline, and its thoroughness will be an asset in marketing to other professions in manual therapy. Overall, it does a superb job of meeting the authors' objectives.
The primary audience is students in massage therapy programs, but it will also find a home in other professions which focus on manual care, such as chiropractic, naturopathy, napropathy and physical medicine. It is a book that students will embrace, but it is probably a bit basic for practitioners, although it might be a good reference for them.
The first of the three main parts of the book looks at the art and science of palpation, as well as some information about stretching (from various viewpoints, such as contract relax and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation). The second part looks at bony palpation and landmarks in the body, while the final part (which is the meat of the book) provides detailed information on how to palpate all muscles of the body. It is wonderfully illustrated, with hundreds of high quality illustrations, and the accompanying DVD demonstrates many of the techniques as well. All illustrations are in color, and the text looks quite professional. My only quibble is a lack of referencing for the latter chapters, which may reflect the fact that the book represents the clinical wisdom of the authors.
This is a nicely done addition to the literature. It is logically organized, it covers the material well, and I cannot think of another similar book that has this level of detail. The DVD is a good addition. There is a wealth of good clinical information here, well beyond just the palpation skills. There is good information on stretching, and on trigger points and where they may be located and how they may be palpated. I would feel quite comfortable recommending this book to my chiropractic students.
Weighted Numerical Score: 95 - 4 Stars!
"This book is a comprehensive introduction to learning the skills required to be an effective body worker or massage therapist. It’s compiled in such a way to be an effective learning resource for physiotherapists, osteopaths and chiropractors who require a core textbook, which provides clear and concise illustration to enhance the learning experience."
The Osteopath, 2009
By Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy, Westport, CT; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, CT